Author Topic: hammer travel on cussion lock  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

hammer travel on cussion lock
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:13:07 AM »
 I'm installing a cussion lock and my question is. Dose the hammer travel to just contact the nipple or do you need sopme overtravel. I want to keep as much shock off the drum as possible.  This is the first cussion lock I've done in about twenty years. Thanks for your reply.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: hammer travel on cussion lock
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »
If the drum is properly installed and supported by the lock plate,the possibility of failure is remote and if it isn't supported due to bad fitting,I wouldn't fire it until it can be corrected.
The strike of the hammer should be a bit more than is needed to reliably fire a cap.

Bob Roller

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
MF, we don't talk percussin here, but if we did....I'd like a little overtravel, as in follow through.

See you Sunday at the Lookinglass!
Tom C.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
Why is percussion not discussed here?  It is a part of the evolution of the longrifle.  If we start splitting hairs we'll have nothing to discuss.
  The flint lock is a proven technology. Modern inventions such as percussion caps and, Lord help us, breech loaders ain't been around long enough to trust. Maybe in another 200 years or so....

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 08:21:48 PM »
Invictus Maneo  Tom was just ribbing me .He knows I'm a died in the wool flint shooter. No malice intended.

Offline JDK

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
Ah, but britch loaders have been around for over 10 score now.....it's those confunded cartridge guns that are the problem.   ;)  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »
I enjoyed the odd guns with the breech plugs that slid up or down and the ones with the rotating plugs locked in by the hammer but keeping enough of them suppositories on hand and ready to use was almost a second career or a quasi religion. Too much was enough.

Bob Roller

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 02:13:21 AM »
Amen!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 03:19:13 AM »
There should be sufficient spring pressure to keep the hammer on the nipple through the pressure cycle.
If you hear a click after the rifle fires is a sign that the hammer is moving a significant distance off the nipple.
Not having a cap on the nipple or its being crushed on the side etc is an indication as well.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine