Author Topic: J.P.Beck silver pistol question?  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Darrin McDonal

J.P.Beck silver pistol question?
« on: March 20, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »
I have a question about this pistol since I have never seen it live and the photos I have seen are quite limiting. Does anyone know if it has a ramrod channel molding ????
Thanks.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: J.P.Beck silver pistol question?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »
Does not Chris Altland sell a JP Beck kit? I think he may have some input on this. Also Mark Wheland put several of Chris' kits together for his gun shows. MAybe between the two of them you could get some info.

JP Beck assembled kit:
http://www.firelockpistols.com/queenann.html

By referring to a kit, you're working off contemporary information. But it sure looks good.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »
Thanks Tom,
Yep I have talked with Chris a few times about this pistol. Chris has only the books out there to go by usually. The only book I own that has photos of it is "Thought on the American Flintlock Pistol" and they are very poor quality.
Darrin 
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:27:24 PM »
Based on the normal quality of Beck's work & decoration, I would put a moulding on it wether the original had it or not. Something similar to what he applied to his rifles. Unless you are attempting a "museum copy", which I doubt.
Tom C.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:45:17 PM »
Thats what I was thinking Tom. I am not making a duplicate of that gun anyhow. I just really couldnt tell in the photos I have seen and I found it hard to believe it wouldnt have one. I just couldnt tell. Ok I think I will keep sketching til it looks right.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:02:57 PM »
Perhaps someone can refresh my memory.  Isn't the silver mounted "Beck" pistol a relatively recent restock?  Perhaps there are a pair and it is a second one.  I recall hearing about this, but don't remember the details.  Also, I think it is pretty certain, Beck was using imported mounts on these.  I recall reading some drivel suggesting these pistols showed Beck was capable of European styled decoration if he desirered.  I think this is ridiculous given the nature of Beck's decorative work.  Also, look at the Beck shown in RCA that has a combination re-used European parts and parts made by Beck in an attempt to fit with this European style.  It becomes pretty clear Beck didn't make these pistol mounts.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:09:11 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »
Now that you mention it I think I may have heard of this being one of a pair. I doubt they are together though, not that it matters. This could be an interesting study for who ever is capable of seeing both. 
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:48:11 AM »
On page 120 of "The Lancaster Long Rifle" there are high quality photos of the J.P. Beck pistol belonging to the Dauphin County Historical Society.  Looks like there is a very subtle moulding along the ramrod groove.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:23:21 AM by eddillon »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:05:19 AM »
Ed.....you're right on with that, one of them belongs to the Dauphin County Historical society, and was on display years
ago in the courthouse.     It is one of what used to be a pair of them.    One disappeared many years ago, has never
turnd up, but I'm willing to bet that it is in someone's collection, but, would be difficult to display.    I doubt that we will
see it at the KRA show, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had a membership card.............Don

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 06:21:17 AM »
The pistol is a restock. I don't think anyone knows if he cast the furniture. That he used old German furniture at one time doen't say much. In any case do your own thing.

timM

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 06:31:11 AM »
The Beck pistol shown in Sam Dykes book “Thoughts on The American Flintlock Pistol” and the L-H pistol shown in the Chandler & Whisker's” book “The Kentucky Pistol” would appear to be the pair. 

I have read that the left hand pistol was found damaged and stripped from the wood, what remained was the barrel, trigger guard, ramrod entry pipe and grip cap to be later re-stocked.  Interesting that the barrel signature is “mirror image” in reverse.