Author Topic: Question about kit guns with questionable inletting  (Read 3748 times)

Martin_G

Question about kit guns with questionable inletting
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
A buddy of mine wants to get involved with building an older, unfinished kit. It looks like it might make a good first rifle if some of the inletting can be over come. The rifle uses a hooked breech & tang system.

From what I can see the problem is due to improper inletting right where the octagon part of the tang stops and the "tail" begins. This tang is straight just like the Thompson-Center rifles.

Rather than have an unsightly gap with the inletting, could a different design tang be used? Some of the tangs I've seen start out wide where the tail starts then the tail gets slightly narrower.

I don't know who made the kit, but he got it dirt cheap (40 bucks from his cousin). I told him just to build it as is to see if he likes muzzleloaders, or see if he can get his money back. As a last resort the stock could be used for firewood.

Regarding the use of a tang with a wider "tail end" to try and correct the inletting, I think it might be more problem than its worth especially getting the breech hook to fit properly then getting a tang the correct thickness so everything else fits too ( hammer & nipple position, barrel retention,etc.)

What advice do you think I should give him?

Thanks,

Martin

ottawa

Re: Question about kit guns with questionable inletting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:51:43 PM »
hard to ansewer. how is it a bad fit? tang strait stock curved? if you can post some pics it mite help get you a better ansewer. but I'm sure someone can give you the right response. I say start the build and addjust the tang or the inletting area if they took out to much wood replace it and fix . just don't have enough info for a good ansewer.

Martin_G

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »
I don't recall where I read it but there was a similar problem with inletting that was fixed by the owner using a sliver of a tongue depressor or a popsicle stick and wood glue where wood was missing.

IIRC, after it was sanded and stained it didn't look too bad. In any event it sure was better looking than missing wood !

Maybe I should suggest this fix to him. I'll ask him to bring it by this evening so we can take pictures.

Thanks,

Martin

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 01:32:42 AM »
He can either use a wood filler, or forge the tang wider.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:37:32 AM »
He should be able to glue a sliver in there no problem. Either use Elmers stainable, or stain the area first, and glue it in with super glue. Done carefully, this repair can be pretty hard to see once the gun is finished.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:13:50 PM »
A wood patch is fine.  Tell him to find a piece of the same species of wood, or one with a similar density/color, orient the grain of the patch to match the surrounding wood, and get as close a fit through cut and try as he can.  Forget about the tongue depressor!  Figure out a clamping method before he applies the glue.  I recommend a yellow wood glue, not epoxy, as the glue line will be thinner.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
I used to know a builder who thought every gap was an excuse to design a new floral silver inlay. ::)
Tom C.