Author Topic: Why can't I solder  (Read 10942 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Why can't I solder
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »
I am still having trouble with the getting the solder to flow and cover the lug evenly with the wire solder.

The paste works better for me.  I have gotten one on a barrel and can pick the barrel up by the lug with pliers.

Thanks everyone

Coryjoe
Coryjoe,
When you are using the wire solder have you coated the surfaces with soldering paste? I use a soldering paste that is about the consistency/look of heavy wheel bearing grease, I have problems getting any solder to properly flow with out using this paste.

Not sure but I suspect the soldering paste you refer to contains both flux and powdered solder. The paste I refer to is flux only. Mine is old as the hills but I think its still available. If you can find it you can probably then use up all the wire solder you have. Not sure but boric acid might work, I use it to silver solder (high temperature solder) and brazing.
Dennis
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:01:40 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 06:58:08 PM »
Dennis,

I am playing with both.  Wire solder with the flux they sent with it, and a paster that includes the flux.  The paste is what I have gotten to work.  The wire I am still having trouble getting the solder to go where I want it to and cover as well as it needs to. 

Coryjoe

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »
 soldering trick from Taylor: rub the melted solder around on the steel parts with a little wad of steel wool, with some flux. The steel wool somehow helps everything get a nice even coating, maybe it helps keep the metal clean. Coat both surfaces to be soldered with solder(called 'tinning'). Then put them together and reheat with new flux, flowing a bit more solder into the joint.

Cleanliness is so important. Overheating is the most common cause for solder to not flow. If overheated the flux breaks down, the parts to be soldered oxidize. This oxidized layer prevents ANY solder flow.  Scrub parts clean, reflux, and try again. You'll get it to work....But not by overheating.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.