Author Topic: Percussion Lock With No Half Cock  (Read 11266 times)

wmaser

Re: Percussion Lock With No Half Cock
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
I have an original Leman percussion rifle in .32 cal , the lock of which has no halfcock notch. I shoot it regularly while hunting and  on the range. While hunting, I carry the rifle with the hammer down, resting on the capped nipple. I have tried to fire the cap, with the hammer in this position, by striking the hammer pretty sharply with a wooden mallet but the cap will not fire. I suppose I could strike it hard enough to fire the cap but I dont want to abuse the lock.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:13 PM »
What if a totally new tumbler was used? It would probably require all new internals bringing me back to basically having a lock plate with a bunch of holes in it...
Ha...

Better off just building a lock from scratch... Thank you for all of the suggestions.  Looks like this one is probably going to end up being something to just study mechanics.

omark

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 09:05:47 PM »
i have a leather capper with a few caps tied to the trigger guard. i put it between the hammer and nipple, falls off when cocked. i believe it would not fire with a blow that may break the sear and set the cap off.   mark
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:07:48 PM by omark west cen colo »