Author Topic: Bending tang on an antique enfield rifle musket  (Read 2807 times)

hawknknife

Bending tang on an antique enfield rifle musket
« on: March 29, 2012, 08:59:49 PM »
I have a very nice Enfield pattern 1853 3 band rifle musket.  The tang must have received a hard blow as the last 1/2 in stands about 1/16 inch proud of the inlet.  Could this be bent cold without fear of breaking it off, I hate to heat it as it would discolor the tang and this musket has seen little use, no pitting or roughness around the bolster.
   Thanks...Carl Merck

Offline cmac

Re: Bending tang on an antique enfield rifle musket
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
Probably could do cold but I wouldn't if its an original. Are you sure the wood didn't just shrink?

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:45:03 AM »
As cmac pointed out repair of originals is best left to a trained/expierienced hand.  And he may very well be correct about wood shrinkage.

Does top of the tang apear straight or is there an obvious bend?  If it is straight it might just be a matter of the screw being loose.  As I recall the tang on the Enfields is very short and the screw is out toward the end.  Tightening it may pull the tang down flush.  If you try this use the proper turnscrew and use caution not to strip the head....but then again, being an original it may be best to leave it until you can get a trained set of eyes on it.  jm2c, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

hawknknife

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 02:10:27 AM »
The tang did get a hit on it and from a side profile, it is bent upward slightly.  Probably happened with the barrel out of the stock.  This rifle musket is one of the British small arms trade products and is 100% original and in excellent shape.  I may just leave it alone but it bugs me.  Just about all the BSA enfields were imported North or South and very few of the English London guns were surplus sold....Thanks gentlemen

Offline kutter

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:56:18 AM »
I know nothing of Enfield Muskets,,is the breech tang case hardened?? or soft (blued).

If it's soft,,a gentle bend in it to show 1/16" proud at the end isn't much and can be put back easily enough with a lead hammer with the tang down on a lead block.

It will protect the finish also.

If you're not comfortable doing such,,then don't. Have someone that is familiar with the work do it for you.

Offline TPH

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
It is probably, as cmac said, a case of wood shrinkage. Or, it may be that the tang has been bent while out of the stock, hard to know with handling the rifle musket itself. The P53 family of firearms have relatively soft tangs but they will not bend easily since they are short and relatively thick. Check the inlet to see if there is good contact with the inlet, I am betting that there is and it indicates wood shrinkage rather than a bend, 1/16 of an inch is not very much and is common on the rifle muskets imported for the American Civil War from the British trade.

With the exception of the fully interchangeable products of  Royal Small Arms Enfield - the government factory - (none imported during the War) and the privately owned London Armoury who was making arms almost exclusively on British government contract with only small numbers imported to the South, the P53s purchased from both the London and Birmingham trades were not interchangeable and were not made to any government specifications and often with substandard parts fitted, at best, only moderately well. They were assembled quickly and occasionally poorly. Both London and Birmingham products often show signs of having been put up with improperly cured walnut and beechwood stocks. Those made with beech are often the worst and will show signs of shrinkage, especially around the barrel, lock and the buttplate and occasionally even have loose bands, especially after 150 years of sitting in a dry storage.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:42:12 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern