Author Topic: how to would you straighten a slightly bent barrel???  (Read 3657 times)

long rifle

how to would you straighten a slightly bent barrel???
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »
ok this .36 caliber barrel 13/16 is bentmnot much but it wont shoot straight,and that how we found out it was bent!So! it has been setting here for three years it was given to me,and having nothing imporatnt to do,why cant i fix this and how?the old boys did with a candle and a string and a large hammer so! anyone have any know-how to do this let me know,,would be happy if I can fix it,thank you! mickey

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
Re: how to would you straighten a slightly bent barrel???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
Just do a search using "straighten barrel" and you'll find lots of information.

John.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:12:35 PM by John Archer »
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline wmrike

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:20:22 PM »
A little over 40 yrs ago I got an identical kind of barrel from Dixie, .36 cal. x 13/16, but it was bent in three places and the bore was out of line with the exterior of the barrel.  There's a picture for you.

One thing and another, I wasn't in one place long enough to return it and expect to be there when it came back.  Being young and not knowing when to throw in the towel, I clamped it on the workbench and, one by one, worked out the kinks.  Being a mild steel, it wasn't an insurmountable task.  I designated the end of the barrel with the bore in the center as the muzzle end.  The end that was bored off center became the breech end - I figured it mattered less where the bullet started that where it exited. 

By gosh, it ended up shooting pretty well, but it's the kind of thing a younger person does.  Nowadays I'd return it or scrap it, and get on with life.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »
There's an extensive post on this site with photos.  Seek and you will find.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 06:07:59 AM »
Mickey,

Here is the link to the barrel straightening tutorial:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=19603.msg185221#msg185221

I have not had much success in visually straightening a barrel that is already rifled.  I find it difficult to see the barrel bend looking down the bore.  It is really much easier with a smooth bored barrel.  The process in the tutorial is used after the gun is finished and only needs some very slight bending to bring the bullet impact point in line with the sights.  Perhaps if you do have a large flat surface, like my top of the table saw platen, it could give you some reference to check for the bend looking/measuring on the outside surfaces of the barrel.  Let us know what happens.

Jim

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »
It depends what the bbl steel is. If it's 12L14, it may bend OK. If it's 4140 or some such, you may bend it into a 'U' and find it springs right back.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.