Author Topic: Pipes on Originals  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Pipes on Originals
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
For those of you who have been able to study many originals, were the ramrod pipes all hand made or did they ever use cast ones? Just curious.
Eric Smith

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Pipes on Originals
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »
I have 50 original KY Rifles going from 1780 up to 1870 and not one has cast pipes. They all appear to be hand made of relatively thin stock. Hope this helps some.
Dick

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:09:41 AM »
The only longrifle I remember seeing with a cast pipe was an early wood box gun that re-used a Brown Bess entry pipe.

Without access to very skilled foundry work the green sand casting of a pipe with the hole in place would have been way more work than hammering up sheet. The modern cast ones are lost wax castings.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:20:39 AM »
Like Dick and Gary, I've seen a good number of original longrifles, and I've never seen one with a cast ramrod pipe.

Frank
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:21:57 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:32:43 AM »
Thanks for the information. I thought so, but had to ask to be sure.
Eric Smith

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:38:11 AM »
Cast pipes on brass or silver mounted European pieces are very common.  Suspect you are inquiring about the American Longrifle though. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:16:34 AM »
Agree with Jim on European cast thimbles. Most American pipes are fabricated from sheet. If American work is your line of interest, it's great to brush up on your pipe fabricating skills. Cast pipes look poorly on American work.

The Europeans could cast THIN, and with incredible detail. I have not seen quality today that approaches 18th Century casting.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »
The quality of any casting is directly related to the quality of the moulds or patterns used to make them. I have talked to casting engineers that told me that they had been approached by people wanting parts cast for muzzle loaders and wanted the whole job tooled for $20. The old Maslin lock from 40+tears ago was one of these and it showed that junk yard approach in the internal parts.
Modern guns have parts so precisely cast that they can be assembled and fired with little or no detailing and that is the proof that fine tooling and quality control are the way to go.

Bob Roller

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 05:09:40 PM »
What casting method did 18th century European gunsmiths use to cast parts; I assume it was some variant of the lost wax method?

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
No Gold,  can you surmise an approximate thickness of the sheet brass used on the originals?  I know it is going to vary but perhaps you can give a range on this? 

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 02:36:44 AM »
I have 50 original KY Rifles going from 1780 up to 1870 and not one has cast pipes. They all appear to be hand made of relatively thin stock. Hope this helps some.
Dick
50 original KY rifles. I can store 5 of those for you. No cost. 8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:37:41 AM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith