Author Topic: final coat  (Read 3509 times)

Offline walt53

final coat
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:11:20 AM »
Hi guys  I'm in the mid'st of oiling my stock , it's a walnut stock and i'm on #4 coat.SO I used blo an turpenetine 50/50 for the first coat and blo for the next 4 coats.I'm wondering what a guy could use for a finishing coat.
Would something in the line of WAX be appropiate to use, or something else.Iwould like it to look similar to the old army rifle stocks.ANY suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.thankyou in advance.  WALT

alsask

Re: final coat
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:59:50 AM »
I have had real good results with Minwax Antique Oil Finish.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:02:53 PM »
i use pure beeswax softened with turpintine.
its waterproof, and long lasting
everyone has some sort of favorite
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
I have had real good results with Minwax Antique Oil Finish.
I also use this product. I don't follow the directions but wipe it on with a lint-free cotton rag & let it dry.
Good stuff.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »
I have found Renaissance Wax to work well on the stock and to protect the metal. Its microcrystalline, contains no petroleum and was created by and for museum use. finishes hard but flexible.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
I would second Dr. Tim's recommendation.  Have found Renaissance Wax to be very easy to use and pleasing to the eye -- not glossy, more of a soft luster.

NSBrown

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »
I too like Renaissance Wax. It does the job over BLO as a top finish, and I use it every time I clean my guns. I keep a soft rag on top of the can, so it's handy to wipe down guns that someone handles in my shop. I imagine that wax would have been part of regular rifle maintenance. If a fellow needed his rifle re-varnished, I think he'd take it to a shop and have the lock overhauled and stock re-varnished.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »
Another vote for Renaissance Wax. Love the stuff, it doesn't give a high gloss more of a semi gloss sheen. Kinda pricy but it goes a long way and is very durable. I use it over Chambers Traditional Oil Finish