Author Topic: concave spokeshave worth buying  (Read 3184 times)

Luke

concave spokeshave worth buying
« on: April 16, 2012, 05:28:57 AM »
will this tool help building,if so where.thanks luke

Offline Eric Smith

Re: concave spokeshave worth buying
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:34:41 AM »
Try Ebay, lots of listings.
Eric Smith

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:49:21 AM »
Luke,
I would think that this tool would be one your reached for often.  I did not have one, but my father did.  I certainly could have used his often in shaping forends.  I used my straight bladed spokeshave often and to great effect.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
 A good block or scrub plane is more controlable.  I have several draw knives, spokeshaves etc. and for the most part they just hang there like Christmas ornaments.  I bandsaw most of the excess wood off almost completely rounding out a stock and then head right to the best quality rasps that I can get my hands on.  Most of the spoke shaves etc. work well on straight grain wood--not curly or burly wood that is often used in gun stocks. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »
I'm with Lucky on this one. I have a cheap, old block plane that I inherited from my father in law. I sharpened it up and now it is one of my favorite wood shaping tools. Provides great control and lightweight.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »
A good wood bodied spoke shave is a wonderful tool for stocking a longrifle.  The cutting edge angle is lower with a wooden spokeshave as compared to the standard metal bodied variety.  Several years ago, Mark Silver was kind enough to loan me his, during one of the Gunsmithing Seminars, while I was stocking up a rifle and found it to be a really great tool.  You can see him using it on his video where he is stocking a rifle.  I'm not sure if I would bother with a rounded blade variety, as you are considering, however.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
I use the spokeshave with the concave blade on the forearm shaping.
Andover, Vermont