Author Topic: Apple tree coming down!  (Read 3891 times)

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
Apple tree coming down!
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »
Any one out there use apple wood for a stock? I'd like to give it a try. I haven't recearched the properties of the wood yet, but I think she would look pretty nice.

The other DWS

Re: Apple tree coming down!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 05:15:43 PM »
Just a couple words of caution.  Apple tree wood can be beautiful,  but it can be really dense and hard; however that is a matter of working technique.

The biggest problem I have sen in trying to work with it is that the trunk has a lot of stresses in it (probably due to the way the tree grows and the repeated weight of the fruit out on the ends of the limbs) and it can twist like a snake once you start removing wood form a slab.    Now bear in mind that this is based on a regularly pruned and maintained apple tree.  If you found an old feral one out is an abandoned farm site that had grown taller and straighter, maybe it might make a difference

Some years ago I tried making a simple set of S&W pistol grips out of a well-seasoned chunk salvaged from an old treasured family heirloom Cortland that we lost in a storm.  I profiled and book-paged the chunk and routed out the interior for the frame and innards.  (It was way to hard to hand carve.)  2 days later the thing had warped to where the two routed out pieces would only touch in a couple spots.  I tried working with the wood on a couple other projects for the family as well but in each case the stress relief warping defeated me; leaving me very disappointed and frustrated

IF I were to try to make a LR stock of apple, assuming I could find a chunk long enough,  I'd rout the barrel first thing and clamp the barrel in place immediately and try never to take it out any more than absolutely necessary.  Even with that I'd worry about the wrist and lock inletting areas so I'd be offering apple pies to the stockmaking gods on a regular basis to keep that wood from warping like a snake uncoiling in very slow motion.

I would love to hear of some techniques for working with apple wood successfully.  I seem to recall of it being used by new england gunbuilders, and I still have access to some very big old ones on family property

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 05:38:33 PM »
I made a mallet out of apple maybe 25 years ago. It is still in service.
It makes great fire wood.  I use to burn it in my tipi. The smoke stained the top a really pretty maroon color and always smelled good inside.

Offline Herb

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
I stocked a 7mm mag barreled action in apple wood a long time ago, don't remember where I got the stock, (a precarve) but there were no problems with it.
Herb

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:52:21 PM »
Apple and pear seemed to be popular for the 'over the top' firearms of the matchlock and wheellock periods when made for Royalty. many of these most eleaborate pieces are pictured in the famous books of our time - profusely inlet with abalone, ivory, silver and gold & bone - seemingly very fine in grain structure and looking very hard - "100 Great Guns" by Merrill Lindsay;  "Firearms" by Howard Ricketts; "The World of Guns" by Richard Akehurst; "The Pleasure of Guns" listed by Octopus; are just a few of many such pictoral books.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »
Hi,
Apple wood was used by some European gunmakers during the 16th-17th centuries.  It was particularly favored by makers in NW France where apple orchards were (and still are) numerous.  I've used apple wood for projects other than guns and it was hard but good wood.  However, I've only used well dried wood from commercial suppliers. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Online Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 08:26:04 PM »
After working with hackberry I'd like to give that a try...........

FRJ

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 04:29:49 AM »
I don't know about making a stock with it but if all else fails apple wood chips work great for smoking meat and salmon. FRJ

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 02:34:57 PM »
Thank you every one for responding to this post. I've been a cabnit and tall clock maker for several years and am well familiar with the fact that wood has a mind of its own. Stress is a big problem, even after doing everything exactly right. Couldn't begin to tell you how many door frames and side panels for clocks I've had to cut up and scrap out. But that is just the way it goes I guess. I will try this build and hope for the best. The wood will be kiln dried to 6%. I have built rifles before that have been badly warped to the point where I had to clamp a piece of 2x2 solid cold rolled stock just to cut in the barrel and RR channel. Anyway, I'll keep you posted later on as to how I made out with this project and thanks again for all your help.

Curly