Author Topic: Barrel Bluing techniques? (Metalurgists)  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Barrel Bluing techniques? (Metalurgists)
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »
We know of any traditional and modern methods of browning andbluing barrels.  I am wondering if any of you metallurgists have ever used or know of anyone using a "Rhine's Pack" to coat a barrel. seems that this scientific method, while not historically relevant could be very useful and inexpensive in achieving uniform colors and predictable colors depending on the mix of ferric oxides used in the pack. Probably for boutique use rather than mass production.

Any thoughts?
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Bennypapa

Re: Barrel Bluing techniques? (Metalurgists)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »
What is this "Rhines pack" you speak of.

(it should surprise no-one that i haven't heard of it)  ;)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:08:08 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 02:17:12 AM »
I believe I will stick with LMForge   DUHHH!!!!!
Bob Reader

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 02:20:24 AM »
Yeah it seems the art of coating is more popular... but if there were a simple, cheap and easy way to get them coated/blued with precision predicable colors, would people take advantage of it??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline kutter

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 02:53:22 AM »
I'm no metalurgist, scientist, nor expert. But I'd take a guess by skimming through the nighmare of physics classes past info that it's some form of what we know as Carbonia Bluing.
Not the same process,,but the same idea.
Oxidation of the metal in the absense of free oxygen(atmosphere)

It talks of temps in the 1000C range.
Mr Gores internet tells me that's 1830F. Much higher than anything needed for Carbonia or charcoal bluing. It's even much higher than we ever ran case hardening. Exactly 400 degrees higher.

All just a guess on my part. Gave me a bit of a headache to look thru it,,but I gots to know. ???
Time for a drink and then another coat of LMF it is on a set of shotgun parts.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:58:07 AM by kutter »

WMnBR

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 04:07:01 AM »
I'll stick to charcoal blue.  Besides, the neighbors think I'm roasting a side of beef!

Bennypapa

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 04:31:06 AM »
Jeez that hurt me head!

I'll stick with lmf. I can at least read their instructions ;D

Dave Faletti

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 04:55:41 AM »
What is being described is different than browning or blueing a barrel.  You can get more repeatibility and control of your colors if the process is more controlled.  Using browning as an example if the temperature, humidity, time and amount of reagent on the steel is controlled you can have a repeatible process.  How much time and money do you want to invest in developing a precise processes to make a few guns? It wouldn't take much to control some of the variables to a reasonable level though. For me to use modern production methods and controls I would rather just make modern rifles on a production line for pay. For me part of the fun is building and shooting them in a way that somewhat resembles the era.

Vomitus

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »
  Dave Rase showed a barrel on here a while back that he rust blued. Really nice job. Give him a PM?  Taylor followed his instruction on my JP Beck and it turned out great.Really durable too.