Author Topic: lock repair  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Dan

lock repair
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:39:02 PM »
Have a '50's vintage Geo. Leonard .54 caliber RB target gun with a lock that needs repairs.  Open to suggestions on experts with the talent...............  Sorry, that's 1850's...........

The whole lock assembly is pretty doggone loose, and the squared boss that engages the hammer is in some distress, as well. the recess in the hammer has already been chiseled tighter, but that was Lord knows how long ago, and the recess is floppy, as well.

Offline Ezra

Re: lock repair
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »
Call Brad Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading.  (717) 757-5841.

http://www.cabincreek.net/

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
Sounds as if it needs a new tumbler, is all - or a good small part welder might be able to repair the original tumbler?

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
Are you missing the springs and mainspring/tumbler link also?  

The Brad Emig suggestion is probably a good one.   You might also check the dimensions of the lock parts you've got against  Dixie's or Track's catalog images and dimensions.   Maybe you'll get lucky and the internals you're missing will match with a standard lock of the day like a Pattern 53 Enfield or Springfield.

You might have an easier time finding an entire lock to fit (or modify to fit) into the existing mortise.

Good luck.  SCL
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:54:13 PM by SCLoyalist »

Offline Dan

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:51:09 AM »
Thanks fellas.  Yep, the spring has sprung and there's other deficiencies not so obvious.  Job for a professional, not me. The lock plate is extensively engraved and I've every intention of preserving it.

Dan

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 05:08:11 AM »
I quoted $35 an hour on this lock today but after getting a better look,I don't want it.
It is a sporting rifle lock and the chances of any military lock parts fitting it are about zero.

Bob Roller

Offline Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:16:12 PM »
Yes sir, you did.  I appreciate your second look and notice.  I'd ask no one to undertake a project for which they had no interest.