Author Topic: TOWs patch box release  (Read 4396 times)

Offline bob hertrich

TOWs patch box release
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:08:49 PM »
I am installing the TOW release in a Dickert type rifle. I am wondering if anybody has used this and could give me some tips in installing it. The instructions with it are pretty good but was wondering if there are any pitfalls.

JohnTyg

Re: TOWs patch box release
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:15:27 AM »
No real pitfalls. (?)

The spring is pretty stiff and you will need to file and polish it down until it is flexible enough to actually be compressible.

Install the patch box lid catch first, use the hole you drilled for that to drill into the stock to spot the area you will need to inlet for the catch. It's then pretty simple to expose the head of the catch from the butt plate inlet side and then locate your spring.  The release rod is done last.

I had a recent misadventure drilling a brass butt plate with a fresh drill bit.  Do this carefully with a slightly dulled bit so that it doesn't grab the brass and make a mess.

John

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 06:22:40 AM »
Or you could just do it the way ol' Dickert did it. Pretty simple!
And still works perfectly after all these years!

John

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 06:33:55 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

JohnTyg

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »
John,

I'm looking at my photo and then Dickert's photo (great pic, where did you get it?).

I am wondering if Dickert knows more than me???  ( more efficient, I was wondering if I buried the catch too deep?)

John

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
It also appears that Dickert had set his catch too deep first time.  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
  :o  I don't think anyone has ever accussed him of perfect workmanship.  ;D

John, I took the pictures, thanks. I don't know that it's a better way than the setup you're using, just that it's a simple and effective way.

John
John Robbins

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
It also appears that Dickert had set his catch too deep first time.  Grin
Isn't it neat to look at work by the old masters and see that they too made mistakes!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »
Talk about mistakes, you should see some of the rifles at the Landis Valley Museum.  ;D 

Inletting gaps, carving too high, poor stock architecture, etc.

It is actually good for everyone to see that the 200 yr old work was done by humans, not perfectionists.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
....and here I've been trying to drill that stupid hole the whole time (and usually getting it not quite right). I never really thought about the fact that the buttplate holds the button captive, no matter where the hole is. I'll bet that in the time it has been taking me to set up for drilling the hole, that Ol' Jacob had the whole thing done and had moved on to the next step.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »
There are so  any things that we over engineer. I fall prey to it all the time.

This is why I bring up the guns at the Landis show. I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but it is to point out our obsessive compulsions to 'do things right', that is clearly misguided. We'd be better off spending this energy on the artistry, for example.

It's also hard to get perspective if you don't have access to a bunch of originals to study. I am in a spot where there is a woeful lack of PA longrifles, so the web, books, and occasional trips to the motherland has to suffice. Make the best with what you have.