Author Topic: Lock missing full cock notch  (Read 3322 times)

clayton707

Lock missing full cock notch
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »
Hello,

I have a flintlock that never fails to catch the full cock notch on the tumbler when it is off the gun.

My problem however, is that it fails to catch the full cock notch when it is on the gun and the lock bolts are tight.

I am at a complete loss as to what is going on with it. Some stock material needs to be removed from somewhere? It seems that the sear definitely has enough clearance. Is there somewhere else that material could be removed to alleviate this problem?

Thanks.

Clayton

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Lock missing full cock notch
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:34:48 PM »
Wood clearance around the sear can be deceptive.  You might think you've got it all cleared, but there might be one tiny spot way down in the hole or somewhere that it rubs.  Come up with something to use for inlet black and CAREFULLY put the lock in (without rocking it around) and work the lock and then CAREFULLY remove it straight out (without rocking it around) and see if you've left any marks anywhere.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:54:36 PM »
Could you be bending the lock plate when you tighten the lock bolts due to poor fit on the perimeter of the plate to the inlet?
BillP

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 01:21:40 AM »
Like Stophel, I suspect that the tail of the sear is not being allowed to drop low enough so that its nose will go into the full cock notch.  It might be the depth of the hole, or the bottom of hole.  Inletting transfer colour should tell you where it is stopping.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »
What Taylor said.  To add one thing.  If the lock mortise isn't inletted square, the lock can tip in the mortise, thereby dropping the sear tip on to the trigger bar.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:27:18 AM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 03:41:58 AM »
It could also be that the trigger is too deep and blocking the sear from engaging.  This often happens when the lock is not time correctly and is in different positions when at rest, half cock, and full cock.  The sear bar is always at its lowest location when in full cock.  If so, you either need to shim the trigger plate, or file the top of the trigger bar.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

wmaser

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 03:58:42 AM »
Sounds , to me, like the sear bar is engaging the trigger when the lock bolts are tightened. Check the trigger for wiggle as the fully cocked lock is being tightened up. By the way, the lock bolts don't need to be very tight. Just enough to snug the lock bolster to the side of the barrel

clayton707

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions!

It appears that it was a combination of things. Not enough wood removed, the lock plate not sitting flat.