Author Topic: Youth Gun Barrels  (Read 5369 times)

Offline TMerkley

Youth Gun Barrels
« on: May 07, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
Do any of the manufacturers make a 28 inch barrel in .45 cal. 3/4 or 13/16? 
Or any one have something that won't cost arm and a leg?  I would hate to have to by a long barrel and cut it down.  I guess the positive side of that would be to make a matching pistol for a follow up shot on a deer.  Indiana has .45 cal minimum regulation for deer. 

Thanks, Tom

Offline JDK

Re: Youth Gun Barrels
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »
Call Scott Keller at Colerain:  814-632-7513

He can make you anything you want and I think you will find him reasonable on price though you may have to wait a little while.

I had the same problem puttin' together parts for my daughters rifle build.  I didn't want to go short....Lehigh pattern....but needed light....she's 10.

Decided to go with an octagon/round in .45.  Called Scott and explained my dilemma and he delivered a very light and lively barrel at a good price.

Timing will depend on when he can work it into the production runs.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:03:39 AM »
I picked up a barrel that's a kids, 2/3 scale Getz.  Don't know if they still make it, haven't seen any new ones.  This one is small, like an A weight swamped, 38", .40 caliber.  Could be worth a call to see what they still make.  One of the builders in our local group built a Beck with an identical barrel for his son many years ago, was a very nice little rifle.  I'm saving mine for a rifle for my niece in a few years, she's only 6 now and still has her hands full with her pink Red Ryder BB gun.   ;)
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:33:01 AM »
ok thanks.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
Tom  I built a 45 cal for my girls a few year back.I used a Green Moutain 13/16 barrel cut down to32 inches which i think is better than 28 for a youth rifle .I would make the lop 13.inches at least cause they will grow up quick .wood can be as fancy or as plain as you like the main thing is that it fits them.Mine turned out about 6 lbs if i remember.I have a picture of it somewhere if i find and dont forget ill send it to ya. What part of IN are you from Were from Middlebury. If you have any qestions feal free to call. Curt

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »
Live in Lafayette. 

I think I've been through Middlebury.  What part of the state is that in N, S, E, W? Nearest large city? Can't remember where I know the name from.

Anyways,

Thanks

billd

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »
If you're looking for a barrel like Osprey referred to call Fred Miller.  He has them in stock by Rice.  For a straight barrel call Colerain, they will make it to your length with out a long wait.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:27:12 PM by Bill D »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »
TMerkley - Middlebury is northern Indiana - east of South Bend.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
Tom, Not so far from Syracuse.  If you can get up to meet Curt, he could help you a lot.  I wore out his ear on the phone while building my first rifle.  He is a gem!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 11:09:10 PM »
I know that Mike Lea offers a youth gun kit.  He may sell the barrels separately.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 03:09:46 AM »
Tom,
I'm building a .45 rifle for my 12 year old son.  I took a 36 inch Green Mountain and cut 6 inches off of it.
Larry Luck

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »
Thanks guys,
I really appreciate all the information.  You are all a big help!

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »
You might also want to check out Chambers 'Little Fella" rifle kit and barrel.

http://www.flintlocks.com/
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"