Author Topic: hog rifle  (Read 5296 times)

welafong1

hog rifle
« on: May 14, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »
 would someone tell me what a hog rifle is ? maybe a picture of one
thank you
Richard Westerfield

Offline smylee grouch

Re: hog rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
Chunk gun.

Meteorman

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
another variety:  http://tnhogrifle.com/
Ken is as helpful as they come.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 04:11:47 PM »
I was inspired by Ken and Kieth to make my version of a 'hog rifle'.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
IMHO - Hog rifle is a generic name for a very utilitarian gun of small caliber.  (less than .50 cal)  It’s not much different than Bear gun, barn gun, or Squirrel rifle all are used to describe the primary reason for the gun.  

Below is a little of my explanation mixed with Jim Webb's explanation of WHY there would be such a rifle as a "Hog Rifle"

Back in the day, most Mountain folks had hogs. They branded and or marked them for identification and turned them loose to fend for themselves for the better part of the year. They ran free and mixed with other folks hogs.  I've heard them called free range hogs.  Come time for "hog killing" the community would get together and have a hog drive. Everyone would bring their "HOG RIFLE" and participate in the drive and killing. Sounds like the wild west and a cattle round up don't it?    Back before electricity, "Hog Killing" had to be done when the temp is cold enough there are no flies but still warm enough meat wouldn't freeze. Once the hogs were butchered, they were salted and smoked for the summer or winter. It's hard work boiling, butchering, and salting a bunch of hogs unless you have several folks working together

Cheers,
Ken

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:56:55 PM by Ken G »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »
Hog rifle is a southern mountain term [includes Ozarks] along with squirrel rifle, bear rifle, even "human rifle" [used in Mo-Ark area] and other similar terms.  I have seen the term "pea-rifle" used too.  Randolph, the chronicler of Ozark language, lists a bunch of such terms.  They relate generally to a rifle's main useage, which is in turn often related to caliber [e.g., bear rifle vs squirrel rifle].  Hog rifle, though, I think relates more to the late period when big game declined and a man's meat came from killing his hogs--often turned out "wild" to fend for themselves, but sometimes slaughtered in a pen.  A hog rifle would have been whatever caliber you still owned...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:13:12 PM by Mike R »

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »
I see.....sorta like going to a small general store (which rarely may exist anymore) and the person behind the couinter asks if you want your purchases in a sack, or a poke, or a bag, or pouch.

A language difference in a way, a descriptive variation with regards to location...........pretty interesting this language thing we got a goin'...........

Vomitus

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »
   My goodness Robby! Now that is a nice rifle,flopped,but still a very pleasing looking rifle gonne. I guess a forty cal is somewhere between a squirrel and a coyote gun,maybe call it a bunny gun. ;D @!*%,I kick myself for selling my forty. Do you guys shoot left for the sheer excitement and challenge or did someone poke out your right eye? :o hehehe
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:55:58 PM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:01:26 AM »
When I was a kid, we used to visit our extended family that still lived in the rural area where my family has evolved for over 200 years. I now live near Augusta, Ga. But about 50 miles west of here is a town called Gibson, Ga. and not far from there is  a place called Mitchel Ga. Neither place has a stop/light. Just signs. Back in the early 60s my Dad would take me "home" to visit Papa and Granny. They used to set traps in the swamp to catch feral hog pigs, and then raise them in a pen till butchering size. I remember once Bill May butchered three hogs in one day. Put the meat in a salt house to cure. To top it all off, I once went to a goat barbecue. I raised a couple hogs myself one time, just for the experience. Had them processed locally and man that was good eating. Raised and butchered a few steers in my time, too. I never took any deer I shot to a vendor. I butchered it and processed it myself, me and my Dad. I used to make some pretty good butterfly chops out of a deer ham. Just a little pinch of garlic powder to bring out the flavor. Anyway, that's what you use a hog rifle for.
Eric Smith

Offline JDK

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 03:56:17 AM »
Robby, Have you posted that gun before?  If not, get to it....with details.  I, for one, would like to see more.  If you have posted it I would like the link as I couldn't find it with a search.  Nice work, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 04:04:57 AM »
Robby,
I agree.  We need to see more of the rifle or post the link to where you posted the pics.  I like it!
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »
Thanks fellows. Just got back from turkey hunting and need to recharge first. Apparently I was the only turkey out there this morn.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln