Author Topic: Welding an extension on a breech plug  (Read 3805 times)

billd

Welding an extension on a breech plug
« on: December 09, 2008, 05:34:12 PM »
I want to extend the tang on a Rice barrel. Rice told me the breech plugs are made from 1117 metal. I'm not a welder, but my book tells me you should use an alloy filler when welding 1117. I have a friend who is a very good welder with all kinds of equipment so getting it done correctly is not a problem.  My question is will the browning be two different colors? Has anyone done this?

Quote from a welding manual..........."1117 is not readily wielded due to high sulphur content. Gas or arc welding may be used providing joints are preheated. To develop equivalent strength in a weld, a low alloy filler is recommended"

Thanks,
Bill

Sam Everly

Re: Welding an extension on a breech plug
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »
I have done breechplugs , barrels , lock plates , and about everything else you could think of . Don't use a tig welder, it will sometimes cause a spot that will not brown .I always use a Mig/wire welder . I have never had any problem with it browning,even with wrougth iron barrels. 

close enough

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »
I have filled in screw holes on a tang using a tig welder (that is the only welder I own) and plain filler rod.  You cannot see it at all on the finished, browned rifle.

Brian

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 02:03:06 AM »
Depending on how much you need to lengthen the tang, it might be easier to just forge it out. Most stock tangs are two or three times as thick as they need to be.
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Ezra

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:49:14 AM »
I just ordered a custon .32 barrel from Liston Rice.  I asked him how long of a tang they can provide and he told me 6 3/4".  So that is what I ordered from him, at no additional charge.  Whether they can or will provide that length on their non-custom barrels, I do not know.  But Liston is very accomodating.  ;D

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 04:09:06 AM »
I just buy a piece of slat steel the thickness I want & a lil wider than I want, cut it off, V the piece & tang where I want to weld them & take a wire welder & weld the on & grind it down & file finish the grind.. I do use the wire & a argon mix, not the flux type wire......   Never had any problems welding them & I am definately not a good welder by any means, but it has always worked for me........  Never had any problems browning them either.  Done the same thing with iron triggerguards with flaws or broken, V them a tad, weld them up with the wire welder.
 ;)

Offline rick landes

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »
Birddog is right on target.
The argon mix is great for low splatter. Set the welder at a medium setting and put excess filler on the weld to grind down to the finished surface and minimize any outgassing bubble holes.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson