Author Topic: Whiskering?  (Read 7489 times)

Offline flehto

Whiskering?
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:56:23 AM »
Have  whiskered all the previous stocks, but in staining some trial blocks from the same blank, noticed that the alcohol based stains didn't raise the grain. So...am wondering if whiskering could be skipped? These blocks weren't whiskered but water did raise the grain on another block from this same blank. Do you guys always whisker the stocks w/ water, but if not, how do you work around it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:05:49 AM by flehto »

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Whiskering?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:16:11 AM »
I always whisker at least 3 times regardless of the stain I use. Might not help but sure cant hurt ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:21:02 AM »
Walnut certainly need a good shave.

Sugar Maple, well, after an Aqua fortis staining and heating, a very light scrape is all ya need.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 03:49:11 AM »
I think you'll find that the alcohol based stains won't raise grain like some other stains.  Having said that, I'd still raise the grain.  If you use a fine scotch brite pad, it goes fast.  Also, I think sometimes we tend to go a little overboard with the amount of water used to raise grain.  It really doesn't need to be much more than a damp, or well wrung out cloth.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:01:03 AM »
Ed's right.  Be sure to whisker the wood before and even during staining.  If you don't, and you subject the gun to an accidental wetting, the grain'll raise under your finish, and then you're in a pickle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:42:04 AM »
I always raise the grain before staining.  Almost always - well absolutely always - raising the grain will show some really boneheaded places that need more attention.  I blame these on those nasty gremlins who come into the shop late at night and smack the wood with their little hammers.

Jim

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:13:29 AM »
On your next wiskering job, try this..........add a small amount of yellow dye to some water, use it to raise the grain.  After
it is dry, it will show any unusual flaws, rasp marks, etc. , and it will not affect your final staining......Don

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
Don. LMF honey maple stain does the same thing.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »
I always whisker, NOW. (Don't Ask) When you do you will find scratches and small dents and little fuzzy areas that you thought were perfect, but somehow you missed. These won't show up if you don't whisker till after your third or forth coat of finish, THEN WHAT. Strip it all off and start over, THAT'S WHAT. :'(

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
I used to use a solution of water mixed with a little flour to make a weak glue. The water raises the grain and the flour causes the grain to stand stiff where it can be quickly cut off by a light sanding. Problem is it needs to dry for several hours or be dried with a heat gun.

I now use rubbing alcohol because it drys quickly.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »
don,
what kind of yellow dye do you use?
thanks
paul

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »
food coloring might work. Not concentrated, just enough to make a tonal difference stand out when it seeps into a scratch.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »
Homer Dangler's yellow stain  thinned with alcohol works great
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

aflo

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 12:35:26 AM »
It seems to me that the best course is to just go through a series of papers to prepare the wood. I have used a heat gun which instantly brings up any whiskers too. There is nothing like going out in the sun light to see things. I realize my old neighbors in the midwest may not see the sun for months on end :(

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »
Too much sun and not enough rain right now! >:(

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 01:50:23 AM »
I don't get too carried away with the whiskering unless I am working in some type of wood that I am unlikely to use an acid stain on. Since I often use an acid stain even on walnut, I whisker once, and then whisker again, after I neutralize the acid stain. The heat that activates the acid, combined with the moisture in the stain usually raises the grain again anyway. I neutralize the stain either with baking soda and water, or potash and water.

Hungry Horse

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »
If you do not whisker the wood it, walnut anyway, will Whisker Itself over the years from just indoor humidity.

19th Century US Musket walnut stocks were scraped, I do not believe sanded, then dunked in hot linseed oil (the real stuff, cold pressed not modern hardware) + turpentine (again real stuff).  Collectors really like to find muskets with that nice prickly surface, from the grain raising over the years. This means no one has refinished it.

ironwolf

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 11:04:05 PM »
   Don't bear down too heavily or you'll just expose more grain ends  ;)

Kevin

Offline Artificer

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 04:09:57 AM »
Most of my experience has been with walnut, both original and new.  On new walnut, I whisker with Acetone because it leaves nothing behind on the wood that could harm it later and it dries so quickly.  Literally within a very few minutes, the stock is dry and ready to go over with the Scotchbrite type pads made for woodworking.    YES, you must have good ventilation (a fan blowing across it when you work has always worked well for me even in a small enclosed shop or basement) and you must take reasonble care against fire hazard, but I have ALWAYS had it around on my bench for almost 40 years now and never a problem with fire. 

Gus