Author Topic: mounting sights  (Read 2288 times)

Hangfire

mounting sights
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »
Is there any trick to mounting the sights on a barrel so your at least close to where you want it to be hitting when you first attempt to sight it in. Do you guys completely put your guns together in the white and shoot them before finishing the barrel, stock, etc.? I'm getting awful close to having a Lancaster ready for the finishing touches.

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: mounting sights
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
Welcome to the Klan (oops read that 'group')..............   Center the sight notch in center of the flat.  Keep the frt blade a tad higher than the rear sight on a straight barrel so she will shoot a bit low then slowly file the blade down to move her up in to the X.  A Lancaster's design in the comb area makes a comfy shooter.  Works for me.  I finish the rifle before she goes to the sight in session and do the minor touch up browning on sight notch and blade top if neccesary later.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
I generally leave the front sight about 1/16" higher than the rear. Leave the rifle shooting a bit low while working up the load. Once that is established file the sight to whatever you you need.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
It's been my experience that anything .50 cal and under, you can make the sights the same height above the bore, and not have too much filing to do to get them zeroed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Hangfire

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 06:48:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advise. I'm working with a 15/16, Green Mountain, straight barrel, 1-70 twist in a 54 cal. Mounting the sights had me thinking (something I probably do way too much) on how close it was going to shoot where I wanted it to. I have both sights centered on the barrel and the left the front sight a bit higher. thanks again