Author Topic: Forginig a Virginia Iron Guard  (Read 7844 times)

Offline M Tornichio

Forginig a Virginia Iron Guard
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:07:39 AM »
Hi everyone,
I have been working on an iron mounted virginia style rifle for some time now and have finally have a chance to post some pictures of the guard. I posted pictures of the buttplate in progress a few months ago. Ian Pratt included a picture of me holding the rifle at the last Log Cabin class so there is one overall picture showing the patch box ect. This rifle is based on an orginal that I fortunate enough to see a couple years ago at the Tennessee rifle show. It was wonderful to hold the original rifle and really get a chance to see some of the subtle details that can be difficult to see in photos. The original was also iron mounted. I am not making an exact copy, but rather an inspired version. I don't have every step documented in the process, but I do have enough pictures to give you a good idea of the process. I was in a hurry when I started forging the guard. I found out that I only had 1" square steel when I started the project. So I used it to start forgin the front half of the guard. It would have been much more effective use of my time to go to the store to find much thinner material in hind sight. The back half of the guard was made by splitting round stock. I was forging with my propane forge and I can not forge weld with it. So I went this route instead. As always ask questions if you would like to know how I did any particular step. I am open to any critique if you see something that I can improve next time.
Marc

Offline M Tornichio

Re: Forginig a Virginia Iron Guard
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:10:36 AM »

I must have forgotten to take pictures of the back half of the guard being forged.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:13:38 AM »
some pictures of the guard after it was installed on the rifle.
I thought this style guard is worthy of study sense few people might have seen this style before.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:15:55 AM by M Tornichio »

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:28:29 AM »
Wonderful work! 

DB

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »
Great job.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
As always!! Fantastic!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline cmac

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »
Very nice! I just did one not too long ago. They take a lot of work. Think I had as much time in trigger guard as the rest of the rifle. Maybe not that much but I did forge 3 before I was remotely happy with the blank I had to file on.

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
Marc,
It looks really good, but my hands (etc.) hurt just thinking about all the extra forging & filing you must have had to do with that 1" base stock to get it where you wanted :)!  What do you think is best to start with?  I found 1/8" works pretty well: Initially, it looks too thin, then it looks too thick, but there's plenty of room for file work, etc.; probably even 3/32" could do with not much to spare? 

Your results are very good, and I can tell you handled an original!  TG's are deceptive -- even the big ones are much more diminutive than they look.  I always get the bow too big if I go freestyle, but I also have fat fingers, so maybe its not a total loss :)!  Anyway, thanks for showing this -- seeing your excellent work always gets me excited about my next pending hardware ordeal.

PS.  Except for not being able to forge weld with it, I assume you found that the propane forge is pretty handy!  My brother got one several years ago, and it was easier to talk him into doing stuff with it rather than the coal forge.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
A really great job on a  difficult task.  

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Great work, wonderful looking guard!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
Really superb styling as well as craftsmanship.  I can see starting with thick stock to get that knuckle as full as possible, but did you consider drawing out the bow thinner before bending it?
Andover, Vermont

NSBrown

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the pictures to study and enjoy. You have given me the need to build my own guard on my next build. Beautiful work.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »
Marc - awesome!  Very "Sheets" looking - not just in shape but it evokes the same level of quality and attention to detail.  Nice work.

Guy

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 07:15:18 PM »
Marc, you're doing a great job of that rifle.  Your guard is unique and just a beauty.  I love the way the stock is shaping up.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »
Very nice Mark,I like it.Will it be at the CLA???

Mitch

Offline heinz

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
Mark, excellent work!  The rivet and braze is really well done.  The overall style is very elegant also.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 11:02:26 PM »
 Nice work Marc. Your file work is very well done.

Tim C.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 04:09:56 AM »
Marc, that is a killer guard.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

woodburner

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 04:36:58 AM »
Marc; what a wonderful creation! Thanks for the progressive pictures,they give a small frame of time in a long process. :)  Tim

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 05:28:35 AM »
Thanks for all the kind compliments.
To answer some of the questions. I hope to have the rifle at the Cla show. Feels like I am never going to get it finished. I try to just concentrate on one step at a time.

1/8"material is generally good material to forge a guard out of. I needed the additional thickness to get the bolster area. This particular style needs the extra material. Even with the additional thickness. I had problems with a slag inclusion right in the wrong place. I definitely should have drawn the bow out thinner. I was fighting getting the proper form. Eventually I decided to stop and file it exactly how I wanted. Took longer, but it seemed to eventually get to where I wanted. I will post some pictures of the final rifle when I get it done.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 11:12:33 PM »
Marc,
Something about a one of a kind, forged buttplate and guard that really sets the tone for a fine rifle.
Excellent work!  Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell