Author Topic: new project Jos. Bogle  (Read 3327 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

new project Jos. Bogle
« on: August 26, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »
My next project is going to be a shooter for my Dad. I had thought a plain so. mtn. style. Found an old set of drawings I got years ago from Log Cabin. One of them was a "Virginia Rifle".  Page 44 in Jan. 2012 Am. Tradition (CLA) second rifle from top is the same gun. It's sighned Jos. Bogle and the article says he worked Blount Co, TN. Looked in archives here and found some fantastic research on the gunsmith and beautiful photos of this same rifle! What an awesome resource ALR is!
I've got the wood on hand and picked up a barrel at the show in Lexington. I'll make the triggers and the rest of the hardware.
My question is would the lock I have be appropriate for the style and time period. It is an L&R "John Bailes" and as far as size looks to be a perfect match with the drawing I have. I'm not trying to do a bench copy but want it to look "right". After looking at the details in the photos in the archives I see the plate on the original is flat with some rudimentary engraving. The L&R plate has beveled edge and moulding at rear.
The waterproof pan, frizzen, etc. almost identical. Any comments.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

54ball

Re: new project Jos. Bogle
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »
 I would suggest the Chambers Late Ketland. TOTW calls the same lock, The Classic Ketland as L&R has a later waterproof pan version.

From the museum Bogle Rifle,
 Lock, English marked Ketland and Company 4 3/4 " x 1" secured by two bolts

Besides the Chambers Ketland is the best off the shelf 1790-1815 era English lock available today and the original has a Ketland marked lock.
 IMHO there is no other lock for a Bogle based rifle than the Chambers Late Ketland.

Looked into to this a little further.
 I see you already have a Bailes.  The Bailes is slightly smaller than the original and the pan shape is identical. The lock plate has more of a banana shape than the original.o
  The Chambers is slightly larger than the original and the profile of the lock plate is a closer match.
  Stylistically both locks are a draw.  For Quality I would go Chambers but if you know the Bailes is indeed tuned well, it's kind of a tie breaker since you have it.  Now if it's not tuned and does not spark, go Chambers.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:46:37 PM by 54ball »

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:10:15 AM »
I've actually built the lock from parts. I got the plate, tumbler, frizzen sear and sear spring, and bridle in a trade. I bought the springs from TOW and made the missing screws. It's together and just needs a little honing on tumbler notches to be tuuned. If the frizzen is hard enough it should be a good lock. I wasn't happy with the bridle so I brazed up the hole, made a drill bushing and redrilled it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 04:09:27 AM »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »
Here is the current Joe Bogle and the rifle his great(lots of greats) grand dad built.

Here is the the rifle Joe built to replicate the original. He made all the mounts and put Chambers late Ketland parts in a lock plate of his own making.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 03:17:28 AM »
Thats the one. We'll see how it turns out. I thought about making a new plate and using my lock parts but that's a lot more work (and time) and I want to get this one together hopefully a little quicker than I normally do.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA