Author Topic: ALR tent topic  (Read 7030 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
ALR tent topic
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »
Looking for feedback from the Dixon's Fair ALR tent, click on the link: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=22821.0

Feedback will help us decide what to demonstrate next year.

Thanks, Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

BrianH

Re: ALR tent topic
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:49:21 PM »
I think it was one of the most interesting talks I'd seen in years I really liked  when they used Ian's rifle to point out why it looked as good as it does I think part of why it worked was because it was more informal and went were the questions took . I have pictures from the talk that I will post when I get home next wk it was I great meeting all of you!

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:40:20 AM »
Please, those of you who were able to make the fair give us your comments above.  I know that I had hoped to do a barrel inletting demonstration but just ran out of time before the Fair so I just worked on a rifle and answered as many questions as I could.  But there were several guys that told me that the tip I had just explained, by itself, made the trip to the Fair worthwhile.  (I promise I won't let that go to my head - Meteor Man has already documented how little hair I have left!)

What kind of demonstrations would you all like to see?  What topics would you like to see addressed or covered.  Should we do more than one mini-seminar up by the tent?  If so, what about?

For me the most valuable 15 minutes of the whole weekend was the time that Tom took to critique my pistol.

What you like ALR to do next year?

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:02:21 AM »
It really doesn't matter what you're doing as long as you're working. I have taught alot over the years and the best way to teach is by doing. I don't know how many times I've been working on a gun in front of a class or crowd when I hear/see a guy smack himself on the forhead and say "NOW I GET IT!" That's really what it's all about. You're going to reach people no matter what you're doing as long as you're doing. Sometimes it would be an asset to have one guy working and another explaining and answering questions over his shoulder.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 01:23:35 AM »
Yah, I think the simplest tasks sometimes make the biggest impact. It may be a mistake to inlet a lock, as it would be like watching paint dry. I'd be lucky to have a plate inlet by the end of three days, with all the yapping that goes with it.

Simple stuff, and the tools and techniques that go with it. Move thru a segment quickly, reach the most people.

Thanks for your input, Mike.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »
It really doesn't matter what you're doing as long as you're working. I have taught alot over the years and the best way to teach is by doing. I don't know how many times I've been working on a gun in front of a class or crowd when I hear/see a guy smack himself on the forhead and say "NOW I GET IT!" That's really what it's all about. You're going to reach people no matter what you're doing as long as you're doing. Sometimes it would be an asset to have one guy working and another explaining and answering questions over his shoulder.

I think Mike is right. One guy just working and another guy explaining whats going on and why.
Eric Smith

Meteorman

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:06:20 AM »
Sometimes it would be an asset to have one guy working and another explaining and answering questions over his shoulder.

Simple stuff, and the tools and techniques that go with it. Move thru a segment quickly, reach the most people.

I think these comments are on the mark.  I bet 80% of the builders there would love to see a  good builder do anything.... a simple inlet... an inlet of anything.  Watch the technique and get some answers.    
Or lay out a blank.  How do I lay it out to keep things as slim as possible, right from the start ?
Or forge a steel trigger guard or buttplate - - I'd PAY to see that myself.
Or make a nosecap.
Or make a patchbox hinge.
Or see someone silver solder two pieces together and explain how to get the darn stuff to work right.
I think the bulk of folks that would want to crowd around are basically beginners or relatively so, and don't have the nerve to walk up to Allen Martin at his booth and say - "hey Alllen how do inlet a ramrod pipe? "
I think you guys are right - keep it simple, and have about 3 or 4 different things going, with a person or two who can concentrate on interacting with the crowd.
and John I promise to not document hairloss anymore.  From now on I'm watching for black socks and sandals ;D ;D
/mike millard

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:10:48 AM by Meteor Man »

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 02:11:15 AM »
Acer, Was nice to see you guys demistrating work being done!!! always better "Hands On".. get more people to make trip up the hill? Very informative!!! thanks, mike
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 02:21:30 AM »

I think Mike is right. One guy just working and another guy explaining whats going on and why.
I agree 2 guys one doing the other explaining.  Be certain you both are on the same track however.

Offline JDK

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 02:53:44 AM »
I agree 2 guys one doing the other explaining.  Be certain you both are on the same track however.

Might be we will have to find 2 different guys then.  ;D

Perhaps John and Tom can just hang out in the pool. :D

Enjoy, J.D.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:54:15 AM by JDK »
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 02:57:21 AM »
Meteor Man - what he said...
  lay out a blank...or forge a steel trigger guard or butt plate - - I'd LOVE to watch someone make a patch box hinge... or see someone silver solder two pieces together and explain how to get the darn stuff to work right. 
I'd especially like to see a patch box being made..
Kevin

Hangfire

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 04:49:18 AM »
I got a chance to visit the ALR tent on saturday. It was nice to just talk to you guys and have you answer some of the questions I had with the Lancaster that I'm building, (my first). Sometimes (or should I say most of the time) it's the simplest things that can be explained to keep my confidence built up and to let me know that I'm moving in the right direction. I can read all the books and watch all the videos but theres nothing more valuable to me then to watch someone do it in person, thats where I learn the most. Thanks for all the info I got on Saturday.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 04:53:52 AM »
Some of this stuff we have is quite portable, some is not. I'm already loaded (the CAR is loaded, fellers) with a ton of junk in a lightweight car. So whatever we do has to be practical, easy to pack up and go. Others can bring tools, and we'll revisit this when we get closer.

Tom

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 04:31:15 AM »
I enjoyed visiting with the ALR members on Saturday, but I agree that if one builder is working while another is explaining, more can be seen and learned.  I think it is easy to get off the subject if you are working, talking and teaching.  And many of our members have so much talent, it is a shame to keep it "bundled up inside".  Shared knowledge is invaluable and not soon forgotten
Glenn Hurley,jr.

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »
I don't know about watching - not for everyone - I've watched Taylor inletting or carving, then I get bored and leave, but that's me and that's why we need good builders - it's not for everyone - but especially good for those who build! Who would sell the guns they'd made, if everyone built their own guns?  I applaud the ALR tent - what a great idea and 'event' for those with the patience and skill to build.  Good stuff, guys - keep building me guns.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »
Daryl, I invite you to come next year to watch and leave.  ;D

I sure how you guys can come. I will have some air miles I can donate to you and your hairy brother, if my kids don't use them up first.

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 12:56:50 AM »
Daryl, I invite you to come next year to watch and leave.  ;D

I sure how you guys can come. I will have some air miles I can donate to you and your hairy brother, if my kids don't use them up first.

Gee thanks. Taylor doesn't need any - His wife will have thousands of miles stockpiled by then. :o I do need them, though - thanks very much. ;D ;D