Author Topic: Stain in patchboxes  (Read 3429 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Stain in patchboxes
« on: August 04, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
I have been applying stain to the inside of my patchboxes. I think it looks a little stark to leave it white. Am I doing this wrong? I have seen examples of very fine looking rifles with the patchbox interiors left white. Is there a reason to stain or not to stain? ???

greybeard

Re: Stain in patchboxes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
I would guess it's a personal choice.   Bob

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »
If you are interested in producing a historically correct rifle you would not stain or finish the inside of the patch box. I'm sure there are exceptions that someone will point out but out of hundreds of old rifles they will number in the single digits.

Many contemporary builders feel they need to seal inside the box, under the butt piece, etc. but I just don't see that on period work --- even fine European examples.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:20:46 PM »
   I suspect that Gary is correct that most of antique original work was not stained or finished.  However, most have taken on color from ageing, oils and environmental factors.  I have seen lock inlets that were totally black from burnt powder, oils and what have you.  Patchbox inlets especially those that have stored greased patches are often significantly darkened.  If you are antiquing your rifle to reflect the look of a surviving original, you may want to consider these factors in your final finish efforts. 

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
If you stain with aqua fortis it is almost impossible to get any color in the patchbox and lock recesses. Also if you do not totally neutralize aqua fortis in the lock recess you are creating a rust bucket. I think that is probably the reason for some of the old guns not being stained there. If the recesses are well sealed with stock finish they will have a little color. It is important to seal these areas because of the large amount of end grain.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 05:14:57 AM »
correct, or not, I seal any raw wood with shellac. Inside PB, under BP, in lock recess, and bbl channel. There, I admitted to it.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »
I stained the inside of my Moravian rifle, but I can't say it was part of a grand plan.  I am just really messy when it comes to stain.

Coryjoe

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »
I stain and seal all of the inlets on my guns. 

Best Regards,

John Cholin