Author Topic: Breech Plug Wrench  (Read 3854 times)

Offline mountainman

Breech Plug Wrench
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:40:14 AM »
I saw an advertisement somewhere for a tapered breech plug, does anybody know where I might pick one up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Pete G.

Re: Breech Plug Wrench
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 01:46:42 AM »
Dixie has a listing for sort of an "S" shaped crowbar looking thing. It looks funny, but probably works better than the big cresant wrench that I've been using.

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 02:00:18 AM »
I have been using a cresent wrench for years with no problems. Have 2 of them, one has tapered jaws for the tapered ones like Colerain, & one is std. for the straight one like Rice makes. Grind them both off short so they don't go over the tangs edges.

I have only seen one wrench made for them, and it would only do one size & for the small barrels it was too sloopy or went up over the tang edge & that is a problem. With a cresent wrench you can adjust it to keep it off the top of the tang.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 02:42:27 AM »
An old "monkey wrench" works well.  Smooth the jaws and you'll be good to go.  They seem to have the perfect taper.  Almost as if breechplug makers use them!
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 03:18:55 AM »
I have been using a tapered and a straight cresent wrench just as Birddog6 for years.  The only thing I did different was i soldered some brass onto the jaws to soften them up and keep from marring the plug.
DMR

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 05:48:04 AM »
I have an old "FORD" script monkey wrench, probably Model T era, that has just the right taper for most old breechplugs. I'm sure I don't have the only one in existance, so keep an eye out for one at flea markets.

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:10:07 PM »
I made a wrench like the one in Dixie's catalog, but didn't like it. The best breechplug wrench I have used is the old monkey wrench bought for little of nothing at a flea market. The smooth jaws padded with a "U" shaped brass insert protect the plug from damage, and there is plenty of leverage to tighten or remove a plug without lots of cheating.

I also use that same wrench for twisting hot steel in the blacksmith shop. Don't know how I got along without it, for all those years.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:09:37 AM »
My old Stillson wrench works fine with the brass insert to protect the plug from the teeth!  longer handle give great leverage.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming