Author Topic: Plunder Box  (Read 4942 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Plunder Box
« on: August 03, 2012, 05:43:57 AM »
Here are some pictures of a pine box I made out of some old packing crate lumber. All hand cut dovetails and forged hardware. Some of the nails were old forged nails salvaged from an antique cider press I repaired, the rest I forged.  

The moldings were cut with antique wood molding planes.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:30:25 AM by Ky-Flinter »
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Woodbutcher

Re: Plunder Box
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:22:05 AM »
 WOW!!! Woodbutcher

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »
that is some dang nice pine lumber... Great wood working skills. That makes for a right fine looking box. Good job
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline prairieofthedog

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
Excellent work!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
Fun stuff, isn't it? Can you show us a photo of your hasp and lock? That detail is SO important. I'd suggest you give milk paint a try for the next finish you do. That's a satisfying detail to add to a project like this.

Nice work!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
 Nice work, looks substantial.

Tim C.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
I like that. Thanks for showing it! Nice work, really.
Eric Smith

S.Willis

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 02:15:02 AM »
Very Nice!!!!!

Offline Artificer

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »
First of all, I salute your creativity! 

I kept thinking about the hasps being unique and then it dawned on me you drew inspiration from and made them to compliment the ends of the hinges.  BTW, forging the bottom of the hinges to match the contour of the reinforcement boards around the bottom of the box showed your blacksmithing skill.  Curiosity compels me to inquire if you originally planned it that way or if that was the way it turned out? 

I understood why you put a board on each side of the lid to keep the lid from racking and to keep the lid covering the contents of the box, but I did not understand why you put a front board on the lid until I saw the picture of the rest of the top hasp.  That was Clever. 

Your treatment of the leather handles was also a bit different than I normally see, though certainly of a period style and quite novel.

Curiosity also compels me to ask what the dimensions of the lumber was you began with?  I can’t figure out from the photo’s if the sides and lid were made of a single board or if you glued boards together to make each side and lid. 

Had I not seen your anvil close to the box and had you not mentioned you made some of the nails, I still would have guessed a blacksmith made the box because it looks like the way a blacksmith would have done it rather than a jointer.  That is a compliment because it shows influence from a Jointer, but it also shows the taste and thinking of a blacksmith and that is something I personally think we miss in making some reproductions when a particular box is just copied.  You stayed true to your trade by making the box the way you did. 

VERY Nice Job, indeed.

Gus

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 03:28:40 AM »
Nice David - are we going to see you at Helfey this year?

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 01:39:39 AM »
I really like your project.
It is first class.

PJC
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com