Author Topic: Flash fence/breech problem  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Flash fence/breech problem
« on: August 17, 2012, 06:30:07 PM »
So I'm using a precarve for my J. Henry new English pattern and have run into a problem with the flash fence and breech.  The stock was cut square at the breech, and there was not enough wood to allow inletting the flash fence on the L & R late English lock.  Now I have a triangular area of barrel showing between the fence and the vertical cut for the breech.  Any ideas?  Should I leave as is (looks strange) or try to glue a triangular piece of wood in (might look worse)?  Considered grinding the fence off, but I think that would look strange as well.  I'm open for ideas.  I have wood off the fore end that I can patch with.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Flash fence/breech problem
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:37:56 PM »
When I look thru Rifle of Colonial AMerica, I see some guns that have wood behind the fence, and others don't. It's not a deal breaker for me, and I certainly wouldn't glue wood in to fill that gap. You may choose to do otherwise, especially if you're making a bench copy, where the original has wood in this area.

I also see that some guns have the fence lined up with the breech of the barrel, and other guns have the fence forward of the breech. In short, this is a function of how long the breechplug is.

I hope this helps.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: Flash fence/breech problem
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:13 PM »
It did help, Tom.  I'll leave it the way it is.  I was much more worried about getting the center of the pan foreward of the breech plug with some extra for fouling, thus the fence is in the foreward 1/3 of the breech plug.  It may have worked better to have used TRS's lock, but it would have been much more expensive and taken much longer to get it.  As it is, this tuned L & R is a champ and I can get parts for it if anything ever breaks.  I'll bet these guns were assembled a lot of different ways depending on the workmen and parts supply. Many thanks.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.