Author Topic: Power Arm set up.  (Read 4831 times)

Offline M Tornichio

Power Arm set up.
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:50:39 AM »
I recently purchased a used power arm off of ebay. I had seen pictures of guys that used them in other post on this web site. I think it is going to be a great addition to my shop, but I had a few questions on what you guys might think the best set up is. I currently have a large machinist vise that I do my gun building on. I am planning on getting a new vice to mount of the power arm. Any suggestions. I have a small wilton machinist vise that I could use, but I think I would like to have something that would allow for a swiveling jaw for none parrallel holding power. I have always found ways around this feature, but since I have was starting up with something new, I figures I would try to get that feature in my new set up.
Another question that I had was how do you mount the vise on the power arm. I have a 301 and I figured that I could mount a plate to the stud that comes out the top, but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures that might help.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Marc

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Power Arm set up.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:24:37 AM »
Marc,
I too added a Wilton Power Arm to my shop about 8 months ago.  I mounted a 4" vise onto a heavy walled piece of angle iron and fastened it to the Power Arm piviot rod.  I modified the vise by making the rear jaw swivel.  I really like mine.  I am sure you will like yours as well.
David

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
Dave......you have lost me.  What is a "power arm" ?    I am looking at your picture but am still puzzled.   Remember, I'm
getting old...............Don

4ster

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
I didn't know what a Power Arm is either.  I found this on the interweb:
http://www.epinions.com/specs/wilton-301-mechanical-pow-r-arm-model-301

At first I thought that it allowed David to raise and lower his modified vice, instead it allows him to swivel the vice into any position. 

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:14:53 PM »
Thanks David,
the picture is great and really helps a lot. If I could ask one more question, How did you modify the 4" vise to swivel? It seems having that feature would really make this a great set up. The only other think that I am considering is having the power arm mounted onto some sort of pipe to allow me to raise and lower the hieght of the vise depending on what I was working on at the moment. My concern would be that I could not get the vise steady enough though with a simple pipe that slides in and out of a larger pipe.

Hey Don the power arm is the grey part that is below the vise. I never heard of one either, until David posted a picture a while back on another thread. It allows you to mount a vise on top. You can pull the simple lever and the entire vise can swivel 360 degrees but also swivel front to back and any angle. I decided after trying to carve my last rifle that I needed to have something that was more flexible than the machinist vise that i have been using. My back was contorted in every angle and I could hardly stand up straight after a long session. I think this should be great for improving my ability to work more comforatbly. They are expensive 400 to 500 new. I found one finally on ebay for under 150.

Marc
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:22:02 PM by M Tornichio »

Offline David Rase

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
Thanks David,
 How did you modify the 4" vise to swivel? It seems having that feature would really make this a great set up. Marc
Marc,
I cut the back jaw off flush with the little anvil part of the vise with either my 4 1/2" grinder or a hack saw.  Unfortunately, after cutting the back jaw off I discovered that my USA made vise was hollow.  I thought a vise made in good old America would of been solid.  I then milled a block of steel and fit it to the inside of the vise body and bolted it in place.  Note: you can see one complete flat head screw in the side of the body and part of the top screw.  I used a shoulder bolt to fasten the swivel angle iron jaw to the block.  It was one of those projects that took longer than it should have but the results were worth the time.  Dan Pharis has a post of his power arm setup on ALR as well.  I think his setup raises and lowers.
I am sure that with your talents Marc, you will have no problem improving on my set up.  Can't wait to see some pictures of the completed project.
Dave

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »
David,

It appears you constructed the base plate for your vise in such a way that the vise will not tip back toward the bench.  Am I correct and, if so, why did you do it that way?

Thanks for the info on the hollow pony vise - most timely.  I have the same vise mounted on a ball mount and intend to do a modification similar to yours.  Now I won't be surprised by the void.

Thanks
Laurie

Offline David Rase

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »
David,
It appears you constructed the base plate for your vise in such a way that the vise will not tip back toward the bench. 
Thanks
Laurie
Laurie,
I think the angle of the picture makes the vise look like it will not tip back.  The pivot ball is just slightly higher than the bench top and the vise will tip back to just about horizontal.
David

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:52:53 AM »
Dave.............You have seen the set-up I have on the table in the shop.   I use a machinist vise but have two outrigger
supports that can be swiveled in or out.   I have the vise mounted in the middle of the table (on the front edge) and
each outrigger, which is about 2' long, is bolted at the back end down thru the table, but is loose enough to allow it to
swivel.  This gives me a lot of room and support on the stock to do just about anything.   The outriggers are placed about
a foot on either side of the vise.    The front edge of the outriggers are covered in leather and are about 2" lower than
the top of the vise.   On my smaller bench at home I have a versa vise.   It swivels in almost any direction, but is not
nearly as solid as the machinist vise I have over in the barrel shop.................Don

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:56:27 AM »
David,
Thanks for the clarification.  It appears you have a really solid mount there.

Laurie