Author Topic: Slant Breech question  (Read 3469 times)

Offline deano

Slant Breech question
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »
Can anyone recommend the best fitting slant breech for a Hawken style gun build. I believe there used to be a Griffin breech that fit well with a matched lock that came in a full set, is it still being made and is it available?

Thanks,

Ken

halfcocked

Re: Slant Breech question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 06:24:23 AM »
Never heard of a Griffin, you might want to call Don Stith on that one. Regarding good fitting ones, I have used several different suppliers and always had to do a fair amount of filing and fitting to get it right. Good Luck.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »
I believe the Hawken Shop used to carry the locks and the slant breech parts that the Griffith Tool Company made.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
What size breech?  I have some old stock Hawken breeches and think there's a slant breech among them.
Andover, Vermont

Offline deano

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »
Thanks Goex4fg! Griffith-Griffon-Griffin at least I got half of it right, the crs part of getting older is a real pain.

I seem to remember the barrel I have being 1 1/8" at the breech it is a straight taper let me double check tonight. The recent discussion on short barrelled straight tapered Hawken's got me thinking I could cut it short and build a nice deer rifle. I love the look of a long rifle barrel but something shorter would really be handy in a tree stand, the new model 7 Remington I got has proved that in a stand this year.

Ken

bigsky

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »
The Griffith breech sold by the Hawken Shop is also sold by TOW.  It is a straight breech design and only comes in 1" barrel size.