Author Topic: Finally finished my feathergun  (Read 5069 times)

Offline Richard Snyder

• Starting Member
Finally finished my feathergun
« on: August 25, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »

I finally finished my feathergun this Spring after dragging it out over several years.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Finally finished my feathergun
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
It's hard to tell exactly what it is from the photographs, but from what I can see it looks like a nice gun.  Thanks for posting.

Jim

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »
Wow! I can tell by the fine work you have made a few of these in the past.

What are the specs?

I am working on an English fowler turkey gun, scratch build. I got almost to the shooting stage when I noticed my Colerain barrel was bored off center. Colerain replaced the barrel but I am now in the process of fitting a new barrel to an existing inlet. My new barrel is slightly undersized for my inlet so I will be heating and steaming to close the gaps.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 06:03:35 PM »
From what I can see, your shaping work is excellent, and fit, finish and color is wonderful.

FYI, Put a gun against a green or blue backdrop, and the camera will make it look more red than it really is. Note the difference in the color between first and second photos.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »
Nice wood, very striped.
Eric Smith

Offline Richard Snyder

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
I built the rifle from one of Fred Miller's patterns.  David Keck now has them.  It was inspired by an article in the May/June 2003 Muzzleloader magazine, written by Peter Alexander.  I used a 44 inch 50 caliber Getz barrel that I had on hand.  The original rifle had a 48 or 49 inch barrel.  I also used double set triggers, so it is not an exact reproduction.  Reaves Goering has the castings.  Aqua fortis stain and boiled linseed oil finish.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 06:45:45 AM »
Great job on the carving and the cheek piece.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 06:44:33 AM »
Thats one of my favorite guns. Looks like you did a good job recreatin it, how bout a few more pics.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 04:37:32 PM »
I built the rifle from one of Fred Miller's patterns.  David Keck now has them.  It was inspired by an article in the May/June 2003 Muzzleloader magazine, written by Peter Alexander.  I used a 44 inch 50 caliber Getz barrel that I had on hand.  The original rifle had a 48 or 49 inch barrel.  I also used double set triggers, so it is not an exact reproduction.  Reaves Goering has the castings.  Aqua fortis stain and boiled linseed oil finish.
And Ed Rayl has a template for the barrel which was 58 caliber. I had him make one in 54 caliber. I think it was 48.5" long. Quite large in the breech but quickly tapers down to a much slimmer waist.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard Snyder

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 08:27:21 PM »
I think that is the greatest regret that I have with this rifle.  There is nothing wrong with the Getz barrel I used.  (I think it was one that Don made back in the 80's)  A reproduction of the original barrel, however, would have been much more interesting, if less practical.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
You can easily fix your regrets on the next gun  ;D

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.