Author Topic: where to get stocks  (Read 3321 times)

Wyattm

where to get stocks
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:03:46 AM »
Hi all. Since Fred Miller has retired did anyone take over his stock cutting business. I am looking for "early" Virginia stocks, early Lancaster stocks, and English fowler stocks but want them cut with enough wood to accommodate the large locks i.e.: Chambers round face and RE Davis early english, as well as others.
Who is cutting stocks. Thanks. Wyattm

Meteorman

Re: where to get stocks
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:12:58 AM »

JohnTyg

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
Many of the "providers" (borrowed from the term of  heath care providers) of profiled, or partially profiled stocks, are using red maple?  I am already in the process of thinking through to my next project and would plan on obtaining a sugar maple blank from Tigerhunt (or Dunlap Woodcrafts), and would recommend obtaining a good blank first, and then sending it out to the profiler to duplicated the pattern of your choice.  That way you know what you are getting.  I'm thinking about using (Fred Miller patterns) for the next project.  Sent a couple of blanks to Greensides at Pecatonica (10 years ago) and had pretty good results with their early Lancaster pattern (Dickert), lots of wood in the stock and un-inlet with forearm left square.

John

Offline elk killer

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »
have had Dick at Pecatonica cut several blanks for me..
never had a single complaint,,quick turn around time too
only flintlocks remain interesting..

cheyenne

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »
If you get sugar maple from Tiger Hunt, don't forget Michael can profile the blank and cut the barrel inlet and RR channel.....he has several patterns and does a great job....forarms square, plenty of wood....if you have a particular pattern, he may be able duplicate it for you.

Wyattm

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
Thanks very much for all the info.
Wyattm