Author Topic: Measuring a person for a stock  (Read 5866 times)

Bernard

Measuring a person for a stock
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:03:42 AM »
Where can I find the measurements I need to fit a stock to a particular customer.

Offline Ian Pratt

Re: Measuring a person for a stock
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:18 AM »
you generally will find them on the customer

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 02:29:06 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Eric Smith

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:42:09 AM »
I'll be the curmudgeon here.  To some extent custom fitting is overrated, but buyers are enthralled with the idea.   When I built for customers I would find out if the guy can hit clay pigeons with an off the shelf pump shotgun and go from there.  Guys from 5'6" to 6'3" can generally use an off the shelf shotgun, where sight picture/target acquisition needs to be much faster.  On the other hand you may find a cuctomer who insists they need something special. They may think they need a hand rubbed linseed oil finish too.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:43:26 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 03:00:26 AM »
First, try this tutorial, pretty useful:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20014.msg189215#msg189215

I agree that if you are replicating a relic for hunting or the occasional woodswalk, you can probably adapt to whatever it is unless you are a freakish build.  One thing many people overestimate is their needed length of pull.  I won't get into the Freudian implications that might have, but I will say the originals (and modern rifles) tended often toward what some today call short, and their owners were probably twice the men we are now.  Many practical benefits -- can shoot with winter clothing, helps balance heavy rifle, easier to adapt to more shooters (try selling a rifle with a 15" pull).  Anyway, take that into account.

On the other hand, if you are shooting target matches regularly, you can do yourself a big favor by fitting the stock as well as possible to your requirements; drop is often overlooked in this regard.  The more comfortable it holds, the less you tire.  You can also gain by getting a more easily repeatable sight picture in comfort.  So, I'd say whether it is worth bothering depends on what you want to use the rifle for.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 03:01:42 AM »
I agree with Rich.  There is a set of fairly standard dimensions that we use that will fit most shooters.  If you are intent on fitting a customer I would find a gun your customer likes and use those measurments.
Dave

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 03:10:19 AM »
Trade secret from me..... 13.5 to 14" pull and about 2 3/4" drop at the heel fits most folks. I can shoot guns with as little as 12.5" to 14" pulls with no problem.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »
I agree with Rich.  There is a set of fairly standard dimensions that we use that will fit most shooters...  
Dave
same thing in the bicycle world, but it's a more dynamic relationship (and a whole-body issue) and it just so happens that i'm a "freak" (withing the "normal" range, but of special proportions).  so i learned my lessons there-that "normal" cannot be defined by height-range alone.  and more folks will benefit from a fitted ride than a fitted rifle.

less important with two sights.
Hold to the Wind

Bentflint

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »
I'm with David on this one. When people order a gun I like to have other guns around for them to try. Folks that buy my guns seem to like them bent rather than cast off. The gun I built for my nephew started with a red maple blank that was about to get put in the fire because of a twist and bend where the lock would go. The blank had an inch of cast and 3/8" of toe out. I built the barrel end of the gun on the right side and the but end on the left. He loves it. It has sold one gun a year so far. Some people hold and want one just like it, others ask for only a 1/2" cast.

I'm sure David thought I was nuts when he saw that blank. It might have caused him extra work just trying clamp it to inlet the barrel.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
Working around an average standard is the best practice in most cases. There is only a small percentage of builders that really know anything about fit and an even smaller percentage of buyers.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 04:36:10 AM »
Working around an average standard is the best practice in most cases. There is only a small percentage of builders that really know anything about fit and an even smaller percentage of buyers.

And, unless some extreme is encountered, "fit" by modern standards, high end English shotgun for example, is practically irrelevant to the longrifle.
They are not intended to be pointed, they are aimed.
They are often shot off the arm not the shoulder.
They are often shot in a stance that is FAR different than for a shotgun. So shotgun fit won't work anyway.
I would also point out that is difficult to build a kentucky of many schools that can be made to look right if made to some specific measurement of drop or pull. If we look at RCA and look at guns that don't quiet seem right somehow it will be found the LOP is over 14" in most cases, or under 12.5 perhaps.
I have read old accounts of the British mockingly describing the Swiss and German Schuetzen shooters stance and how they filled their chest to stiffen it and how they expelled it after the shot. But the people making fun of the shooting style probably could not finish in the top 90% if shooting against them. And no a Schuetzen rifle is not fit like a shotgun either.
When making a rifle for BPCR Sil. there are rules. So I used to build to just slightly more than the minimum drop at the heel and with zero pitch. 2 reasons, the rifle will jump less in the cross sticks, less felt recoil  and it allows the face to contact the stock a little better when shooting rams.
I try to build longrifles so they look right and the pull is about 14" or maybe a little less. To long makes it hard to recreate the look of the orignal if it has a 13.25 or even less pull.
Some cast off, drop depends on the school but I don't agonize over it much but tray to keep them fairly straight. If done within reason the rifle will come up with the sights pretty well aligned.
Building fowlers? That's a shotgun. They need to fit like one since they are pointed.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 05:21:19 AM »
Good division and explanation Dan. Especially since we dont know wht the OP is trying to fit.