Author Topic: snaphaunce  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Adrie luke

snaphaunce
« on: October 03, 2023, 02:23:29 PM »
Hello

I'm studying some snaphaunce locks.
I don't understand how this sear works.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Thanks Adrie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: snaphaunce
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 04:26:18 PM »
These need a vertical trigger mounted way high and in front of the sear . The trigger pulls the sear back instead of pushing it up.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Frozen Run

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 04:50:11 PM »

Mike

I have seen the vertical trigger, but how does the trigger pull the sear from the tumbler, or how does the sear go up.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 04:58:17 PM »
Frozen Run

Thanks your system i understand.

Adrie

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 05:05:34 PM »
Can we see what it looks like at full cock?
Bob Roller

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 05:12:06 PM »
Bob
No i have only this pictures

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 07:42:12 PM »
Here my plan

Normal

Full cock

I miss something 

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 07:55:03 PM »
Adrie,

I'll take a swing at this???

the sear system, to me?, is a two part affair. The lever that engages the tumbler is what I would call the primary and the release is a secondary.
when the cock is pulled to the rear, the primary sear moves clockwise,< looking at it from the inside>. as its nose goes up the tail lowers and allows the secondary to move forward and engage. when in position the secondary sear hold the primary into engagement with the tumbler.

since the secondary sear/release must move backwards.. a trigger bar, pinned higher in the mortise is required. The long bar, situated in front
of the release arm , will cam backwards as the trigger is pulled to the rear. once the secondary moves off the primary, normal function occurs..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 04:19:17 PM »
I don't believe that the primary sear will hold in the tumbler notch once the secondary sear is moved to the back, so no force is needed to push the back of it upward as is normal with the locks we use. In other words it's kinda like having a worn out full cock notch, it won't hold. The thing keeping it from firing is the secondary sear holding it into the notch.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 07:45:30 PM »
Clowdis

Today I looked at another lock again.
With the story of Metelshaper in my head, I think I understand it.
Hopefully it works like this, the screw of the sear has a groof  instead of a round hole. Indeed the sear works like a tie rod.
The sear and the trikker part have a nots to hold together

Tell me I am right.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 02:03:32 AM »
Adrie, I don't think so. A slot would allow the primary sear to slid but in doing so as it moved back it would allow the hammer to drop some before completely disengaging. I don't see this happening with the lock you show on the bottom. I think as you move the hammer to full cock the sear spring pushes down on the primary sear until it snaps into the full cock notch which you can see on the tumbler. As the primary sear snaps into the full cock notch the back of it drops a little and the sear spring rotates the secondary sear into a position over the primary sear locking it into position. When you move the secondary sear backwards with the trigger it disengages the locking over the primary sear and the angle of the full cock notch forces it out and the hammer falls. Without one of these locks in hand its difficult to access exactly how things work and you've posted photos of a couple different locks which seem to have minor differences but seem to me to work the same. The mechanism is kind of like some German set triggers I've seen, very nice and works well, but a little more complicated than necessary. Hope this helps a little.