Author Topic: One School!  (Read 4441 times)

DB

One School!
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »
Are there any builders here who devote their ambition to just one school?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: One School!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
Not me. I like Germanic influenced guns predominantly. But that covers a lot of territory.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
Are there any builders here who devote their ambition to just one school?

There are far too many interesting rifles to do that.
Dickerts and Becks and Armstrongs and Hawks and Hawken and Bedford maybe a side by side double and...
Well you get the idea.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I have to agree with what's been said. Too many great styles with interest in many! I did post a reply to this topic and then deleted it.  Something about having a masters degree from the School of Hard Knocks. That's one school I can lay a strong claim to.
Joel Hall

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »
Seeing I only build spec LRs and don't have to accommodate customers' fancies, I've "whittled" my choices down  to 2 schools......  Lancaster and Bucks County. If I were to only have one choice...it would be Bucks County.  Also  these 2 schoiols seem to have wider appeal and sell better. .....Fred
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:52:05 PM by flehto »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
My school has many and diverse courses which have led me to a Phd. in making meat. ;D
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:42 PM »
A builder could probably reach a higher degree of proficiency in architecture and style by building only one school.
Eric Smith

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 07:11:14 AM »
No one can build one school and make a living at it. However you can define a school. The only builder that has done that and passed it on is Allen Martin.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
York County----George Schroyer

Micah2

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »
I disagree that one cannot work successfully in one school of gunbuilding, Hershel House and the Woodbury School being the one that comes to my mind first. 

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
I'm retired, so I'm not trying to make a living at building rifles, just a little extra pocket money and money for more parts. That being said, I build rifles on spec., and I like to build what I like to shoot and that'd be Lancaster and York schools. A couple others strike my fancy and when er,,, if I ever feel competant in these schools maybe I'll branch out. ;)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »
My friend Randy Weitzel only builds Bedfords.  He's done about 80 of them and they are works of
art.  Yet you never hear of him.  He doesn't attend shows any longer and keeps a very low profile.
He grew up in Bedford and bird dogged Bedford rifles for Dr. Whisker.  Building is not his full time occupation
but I think he is retiring soon.  Anyway, there are folks who stick to one school.  If success is measured by
the end product.  He's a success.  Just called him and he is finishing a side by side Bedford rifle with
barrels he rifled on a bench he made by hand.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:40:52 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.