Author Topic: Precarve "Tennessee" Lock Swap  (Read 4985 times)

Daveco

Precarve "Tennessee" Lock Swap
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:57:40 AM »

This is my first build, and I (like many others) jumped in whole hog and bought some parts- THEN I slowed down and got a little more serious about researching and learned that a Siler wasn't a good choice for a "Tennessee" style of rifle. So several months back I asked on here about what options I might have for swapping the Small Siler to a more appropriate English style. As was suggested, I went with the Chambers Late Ketland, and with some measuring and head scratching this is what I have so far. I just wanted to post it here now, because I know that there are others that had the same questions that I did. Precarves are an okay way to get started I guess, but this will be the last one for me- the next will be from a blank.

Please ignore the large "CHAMBERS" etched into the lock plate....  ::) it seemed like a good idea at the time. Ended up being too far under the cock and a LOT bigger than I really wanted...... maybe next time.

I work very slow, and have about 8 months invested in the project so far- and still have several details to take care of. It'll probably be a few more months before I can start chipping away at those. My goal though is to use it to put a deer in the freezer this fall.  It's a Rice .40 cal 13/16' X 42". When I finally get around to finishing it up I'll post more pictures for suggestions and areas that I need to pay better attention to on the next one.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:10:43 PM by DavidW. »

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Precarve "Tennessee" Lock Swap
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:27:49 AM »
Good choice on the lock swap. What you have looks good.  The lock panels are a little off because of the swap. But they do not stand out nearly as much as having the wrong lock.  Would love to see more images.

Coryjoe

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 05:35:32 AM »
I think your new Ketland looks okay and you pulled the lock swap off just fine. I know you weren't able to round off the tail of that Ketland  so as to have some lock panel showing because of the pre-carve hole. Looks to me that you have good inletting skills also.

If you intend another Tennessee style gun trace the outline of that stock on some plywood and make a template for your next one.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:47:24 AM »
I don't build or research that type of rifle, so take this for what its worth...

Looking at the TOW pics of Southern longrifles, it might make sense to reduce the height of the lockplate a bit at the top rear to get a more teardrop shape. See page 132 of their catalog

I use the build/finish/fiddle/finish on just about everything I build. Never satisfied I guess ;-)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:40:28 AM »
I don't build or research that type of rifle, so take this for what its worth...

Looking at the TOW pics of Southern longrifles, it might make sense to reduce the height of the lockplate a bit at the top rear to get a more teardrop shape. See page 132 of their catalog

I use the build/finish/fiddle/finish on just about everything I build. Never satisfied I guess ;-)

That statement about the TOW pics made me cringe.  Please don't use the TOW catalog or any contemporary work for that matter as a guide to how something should look.   Look at originals, in person or in a book or magazine,  or ask here for design information.    Unlike 40 years ago when I started this,  there are plenty of good resources easily available.     For the price of a barrel,  you can buy a number of nice books.   Consider the books a much more important first  purchase.    I have never regretted buying too many books.    I have regretted not doing enough research or not taking just a little extra time to do something right.  I am not the only one.   That is why experienced collectors and builders always recommend more books to new collectors and builders.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »

Looking at the TOW pics
That statement about the TOW pics made me cringe.  Please don't use the TOW catalog or any contemporary work for that matter as a guide to how something should look...   That is why experienced collectors and builders always recommend more books to new collectors and builders.

Thank you Mr. Elliot.  I thought as much but wasn't going to state it so boldly.  Methinks your saying such gives it more validation than my yapper would. Here I'll add: Sometimes and excellent piece goes through the "guns" department, but there are no guarantees about that.  Get confirmation before "learning" from any contemporary work is my word here.

As to the rifle here, the panel could be shaped and reduced a little bit more to suit my tastes.  But then I do prefer the pointed rear on a panel and that's not the only way.  

More pics and we'll just give you fits and years more work!  :P ;D

Lookin' pretty good, keep after it.  Your state allows 40 on deer?  Mine does, many don't.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:53:53 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Daveco

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far! I'll post some of the whole rifle hopefully by late summer. And yes Wade, Kentucky deer regs say "Muzzeloading rifles or handguns of any caliber".

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »
Keep in mind that a pre-carve can be ordered without the lock inlet.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »

Thank you Mr. Elliot.  I thought as much but wasn't going to state it so boldly.  

Wade,

I sure hope my statements don't carry as much weight as you suggested.   My opinion is not worthy of too much consideration.   Also, if you think what I said was bold,  it is a good thing I was trying to be restrained in my response.  ;)

Mark

Daveco

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 07:38:23 PM »
    Besides the Southern Long Arms section of the ALR Virtual Museum, I have a copy of "The Gunmakers of Greasy Valley and Buffalo Cove", a printout of the pages put together by Robin Hale on Tn Rifles, and a quite a few iron-mounted rifle images and links saved to my computer. I would appreciate any suggestions for other books, drawings etc. that I should look for. (Father's Day is coming up!)
   It's strange how that after posting that picture last night, when I scrolled past it this morning I thought- Wow that lock panel looks a lot bigger than it did yesterday!!

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 07:58:03 PM »
    Besides the Southern Long Arms section of the ALR Virtual Museum, I have a copy of "The Gunmakers of Greasy Valley and Buffalo Cove", a printout of the pages put together by Robin Hale on Tn Rifles, and a quite a few iron-mounted rifle images and links saved to my computer. I would appreciate any suggestions for other books, drawings etc. that I should look for. (Father's Day is coming up!)
   It's strange how that after posting that picture last night, when I scrolled past it this morning I thought- Wow that lock panel looks a lot bigger than it did yesterday!!

David,

I also recommend the Kentucky Rifle Foundation's "Southern Rifles" CD and Dennis Glazener's book "The Gillespie Gunmakers of East Fork, NC".

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Daveco

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 03:42:58 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions Moleeyes, I'll try to get the Gillespie book ordered first. I guess while I'm at it one of the drawings would be good too.....