Author Topic: Care of a slightly aged barrel  (Read 4598 times)

Number19

Care of a slightly aged barrel
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:56:20 AM »
What is the proper care for a slightly aged gun, similar to the Nate McKenzie gun in today's Contemporary Makers blog. I keep my new rifle well oiled, but it is beginning to develop spots of light brown staining/rusting. Should I use steel wool to rub the barrel down, as well as oiling? Or let it develop a natural browned finish?

Offline t.caster

Re: Care of a slightly aged barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:53:51 AM »
That's P a t i n a on the outside...but R U S T on the inside.
Patina-good. Rust-BAD.
Oil & ScotchBrite pad or steelwool will usually get rid of it. I use RIG grease for storage.
Tom C.

Number19

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:34:52 PM »
OK - I learned a new word - patina. I can remove this with fine steel wool. But is this preferred to letting it "age" with the patina by leaving it on? Pros and cons of each?

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 01:01:32 AM »
OK - I learned a new word - patina. I can remove this with fine steel wool. But is this preferred to letting it "age" with the patina by leaving it on? Pros and cons of each?

That all depends on what you want your rifle to look like. If you want to hit it with steel wool, keep it shiney and sort of new looking thats your call.
I never remove any patina as the gun ages and takes on it's own look and personality if you will. It will also become a bit more special and personal to you as time goes by and experiences are enjoyed.
Keep the thing clean and oiled/lubed.
I don't think Daniel Boone, David Crockett or any of the thousands of unknown pioneers kept a bright finish on their rifle barrels.
IIRC the British troops of the 1700s had to keep their barrels and bands brite on their Brown Bess muskets.

That being said do you want a shooter or a wall hanger ? ;D
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 02:08:28 AM »
Jeez, let the patina be :)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 04:01:38 AM »
OK number 19, Patina is like grey hair. I like to think that I earned my grey hair and my patina. My guns do the same. Except on the inside.   Smylee ;D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:17:16 AM »
What is the proper care for a slightly aged gun, similar to the Nate McKenzie gun in today's Contemporary Makers blog. I keep my new rifle well oiled, but it is beginning to develop spots of light brown staining/rusting. Should I use steel wool to rub the barrel down, as well as oiling? Or let it develop a natural browned finish?

If its still growing? Its rust. Antiques have patina.
The barrel likely has been exposed to something pretty corrosive then not properly rinsed to stop the action.
I would pull the barrel from the wood and degrease with denatured alcohol and a rag wash it WELL (wear the blue-green strippers gloves from the lumber yard and outside to disperse the fumes). Then wash with WARM water and a rag. Lots of water and rubbing maybe some dishwashing liquid in the water. If its acid a baking soda rinse can help but this will have to be washed off too. But its got to be well degreased to let the water or solution to get to the offending agent.
Do not treat brown/red rust with boiling water it will turn the rust to black iron oxide and you will have blue/black rather than brown. While the boiling water is a good way to wash way whats causing the after rust it will change brown to blue.
Many of these things will rust under an oil film as you seem to have discovered.
If the stuff gets in the BORE its even harder to stop..
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Number19

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
Now that I've been made aware of the correct terminology, I'm reasonably certain that what I'm referring to is patina. The rifle is brand new - I've had it for about two months now - but last Friday, and yesterday, were the first times to be shot. I personally prefer letting the rifle age naturally with patina, but since I'm new at blackpowder, want to make certain I'm going about it the correct way and not letting rust set in. Thanks to all for the input.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 12:49:56 AM »
Number 19, if this is one of my guns- please send it back to me and I'll redo it and make it right.

Number19

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:01:46 AM »
Everyone should know that my rifle is not one of Mr. McKenzie's and does not in any way reflect on his work. When I ordered my rifle back about a year and a half ago, I had specified an "aged finish", and having just begun the process of learning to shoot, and to sight in, and having noticed the patina beginning to develop, the post on the Contemporary Blog offered the opportunity to reference an example of the type of finish I had on my rifle. I properly maintain all of my firearms, but the care and maintenance of a flintlock will be a new learning experience.