Author Topic: Stanley No. 71  (Read 3950 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Stanley No. 71
« on: October 19, 2012, 04:04:46 AM »
I love old tools almost as much as longrifles. My truck won't pass a flea market or antique store no matter how hard I try to steer it away. A while back I found a very rusty old Stanley no. 71 router plane in some flea market junk for a few dollars. It had the locking collars intact but no cutters.
I got it out the other day and honed off the rust and forged a cutter out of an old screwdriver shank. I was amazed how handy it is in hand cutting  barrel channels. I got a good temper on the cutter and after cutting out the channel it's still sharp enough to do another one!
Another old tool resurrected and a new favorite I think!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Habu

Re: Stanley No. 71
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:12:22 AM »
Try a 271 or similar small router plane.  It works great for inletting inlays and similar work.  I like it better than the 71 for lock work as well, it is easier to balance on the stock. 

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
The 71 is really too large for most gun work but with the extra width still on the blank it works ok in the barrel channel. I had thought about making an old womans tooth plane but havn't yet. How big is the 271?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
The 271 is about 3" long.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline Habu

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »
The 271 is roughly 3" long, maybe 1.5" front-to-back.  My most-used small router plane is actually a patternmaker's copy of a slightly smaller router, done in cast iron.

The Stanley 271 seems to be on-again, off-again in production/availability.  Veritas makes or made one about the same size, with an arguably-better blade holding mechanism.  Lie-Nielsen makes a small router plane that is about an inch longer.

If you buy new, cost is going to be about $75-85 for a Stanley or Lie-Nielsen, or around $55 for a Veritas.   Unless you get lucky, a used one won't be much less than those prices.  If you watch on ebay, you'll sometimes see patternmaker's re-casts in brass/bronze/iron of a Stanley 271 or similar small router plane.  Most of these seem to work as well as the originals, and typically sell for under $20--at that price it is worth buying one just to try out.  Someone seems to be doing an occasional run of really small--2 1/4" long--router plane castings in bronze, but I haven't been lucky enough to purchase one or locate the maker. 

Older router planes often come missing irons.  I usually make replacements from old Allen wrenches: the steel is usually good, and the flats help the set-screw hold the iron in place. 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 02:20:42 AM »
Just make the whole dang thang. ;)

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=15673.0

Didn't even know if my photos were still up.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
There you go. That would be a good project. Thanks for reposting it!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA