Author Topic: Tennessee Features  (Read 27663 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Tennessee Features
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
Interesting discussion and I do appreciate the pictures of originals that have been shared, but the conclusions are confusing to me!   ???  If one wants to build something unique and chooses whatever features appeal to them, and intends to come up with something unlike what's been seen before, why bother asking for information on originals?

If you are interested in something coherent, Wade, you may note that the timeframe of originals in general dictates what the tail of the lock looks like, and also, in general, the extremeness of the curvature of the buttplate, the narrowness of the buttstock, the width of the lock panels, the form of the barrel, the caliber, and a host of other features.

In general, earlier English locks are not rounded at the tail (see L&R Durs Egg as the earliest style one might find on a Tennessee iron mounted rifle (1790), followed by Chambers Late Ketland unaltered (1810-1820).

The earlier rifles like the Bogle will have less curvature to the buttplate and be wider (as wide as 1 and 5/8", maybe a 1/16" more) and later rifles will be narrow and more deeply curved in the buttstock/buttplate.  Earlier rifles will often have narrower lock panels like their contemporaries from other regions, etc.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
If one wants to build something unique and chooses whatever features appeal to them, and intends to come up with something unlike what's been seen before, why bother asking for information on originals?

Personally, I like to see what's the norm for a particular school, and use that as a painter would his palette of colors. Or say I develop a working vocabulary of design and material elements, and draw from that for developing the concept for the rifle.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 11:30:08 PM »
What Acer said!!  ;D ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2012, 04:03:54 AM »
Interesting discussion and I do appreciate the pictures of originals that have been shared, but the conclusions are confusing to me!   ???  If one wants to build something unique and chooses whatever features appeal to them, and intends to come up with something unlike what's been seen before, why bother asking for information on originals?

If you are interested in something coherent, Wade, you may note that the timeframe of originals in general dictates what the tail of the lock looks like, and also, in general, the extremeness of the curvature of the buttplate, the narrowness of the buttstock, the width of the lock panels, the form of the barrel, the caliber, and a host of other features.

You have read me all wrong.  Yes I come _here_ looking for general guidelines but they've been like pulling teeth.  Everyone says look at originals.  So i "look" at all the originals i can find and have seen a few in hand... and of course they're all quite different (within the school eh?) and they're hardly an exhaustive collection because of the huge number that did not survive.  

I have no other way to define or determine an school WRT TN/SM because no one will attempt to frame it (here).

Granted i'm still looking at "gross" features whereas the experts are going to be focused on particular fine minutia.  

Where is that line drawn?  

Because as a man, i never intended to "xerox" copy another man and i can't imagine that i would have as an apprentice either.  But at the same time of course an expert would immediately recognize all my short-comings in "copying" a particular rifle by a particular builder.  

I have no interest in making something "new" or different for different sake.  I say no one ever saw all that were made.  If one or two features of my rifle don't match up with a certain person where 9 of the other 8 do...what's the big deal?  Some say there aren't any hard and fast rules.  

Is that one must copy as completely as he can the ONE RULE that i cant comprehend?  

I'm simply no going to be hog-tied to that.  Not until i find the "one" rifle that I like over all others.  I've seen some very close by contemporary makers, but they're not carbon copied from any builder, but "inspired by".  

I still contend that a man who came up in area (and shot his daddy's gun that was built there, and then moved across the state and bought a rifle from another maker there...which was destroyed in a fire or something and then he hauls off and makes his own rifle MIGHT be one way where the collector all these years later finds an odd rifle (well inside the school-but different) or

incongruous work

where he incorporates some of the style of his daddy's gun and also of the gun he purchased into the gun he actually makes to replace that second one.

Tell me where i'm out of school please:  42" swamped C-weight (Tip Curtis profile), maple, no carving, English lock (by Tip Curtis). steel pipes, steel crescent buttplate by John Anderson, stock profile initially cut to John Anderson's profile-also matches up to TOTW plans profile.  I'm building a lollipop tang presently by welding on extension and shaping.  Double set trigger.  TN-style guard by Tip Curtis.  flat steel toe plate by WP.  

The wood will be shaped pretty much like the TOTW plans.  squared cheekpiece, squared toe, otherwise as thin and svelte as bbl and lock allow.  14" pull, 4" drop. 1/8" cast.  the lock panel will flollow the shape of the lock plate, fore and aft.

Tip and John designed their castings to represent TN-style.  I don't get to spend a bunch of time with them, so we don't have a lot of this discussion.  Tip blew huffy when i repeated what i'd read somewhere about different schools in TN.  He obviously does not agree with that.

Again, when i spoke of "lock panel thickness" methinks I was NOT using that term properly.  I was looking at the border whereas "lock panel thickness" may refer to the dimension from side to side across the lock and bbl.  I'm not sure.  I'm here to learn, not "redefine" anything.

Tom, no one can tell me what is "the norm for a particular school".  They say look at originals.  Originals are all different-and most of them i can look at don't come with date/location information.  

Sorry i'm so thick-headed, but maybe the above sheds some light.

Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2012, 04:10:12 AM »
The references to Tracks southern mountain gun plans being used as a source fooled me right off the bat...based on that I assumed a traditional southern gun made incorporating  as many traditional southern gun traits as possable was the goal...resulting in something traditionally recognizable as southern mountain styled, much like a "Bean" or a "Lawing" etc was what you wanted to build...my bust.
tc

Care to illuminate me to the differences?

And no, i'm not using Track's SM.  I'm using their "TN" as a point of reference. I included that so that anybody could say hey-you know the x on that gun is too fat/skinny/long/short/plain/ornate/etc. for TN/SM.  No one has.

and i've not seen anything "unsouthern/tn" about what i'm trying to build. 

That's why i come here and axe.

oh yeah, and I'll be boring a tallow hole in such a position as that i can later cover it with a "normal" banana box. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2012, 04:22:15 AM »
I have to ask if they are all so different, how can some of the folks here actually identify many of these southern rifles down to region, county or even actual builder on sight. Its the details. The stuff like double "off" set triggers, hand made to fit under the hand made guard, round tail locks, big drum bolsters with lugs, forged iron mounts, copper brazings, single lock bolts, triggers held in by a screwed on guard, long swamped barrels etc...these were all general and basic southern mountain traits that one ought to be aware of ...as well as how they are assembled architecturally to really capture the essence of a true southern mountain rifle that one of the afore mentioned folks might recognize as a southern rifle, maybe even of a particular southern school...I assume thats the goal?
Your parts list sounds like thats what you are after too?
Also, you quoted from a post I deleated after I thought better of the wording of my comment...
tc
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:30:36 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2012, 04:24:22 AM »
wrt locks

i made some stupid statement way back about a german lock.  that was thrown in because everybody says there are always exceptions and they're all different, but it somehow got construed as that i was interested in using a German lock.  

I'm not.  

One of the rules is English lock.  I get that-and prefer it.

I'm using a English-style lock that is a "hybrid" of sort between a Durs Egg and a John Baile  (IIRC) that Tip has cast and made up for his store.

I'll post some pics when i get this phone sorted.  my dang camera has format issues.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2012, 04:32:11 AM »
I have to ask if they are all so different, how can some of the folks here actually identify many of these southern rifles down to region, county or even actual builder on sight. Its the details. The stuff like double "off" set triggers, hand made to fit under the hand made guard, round tail locks, big drum bolsters with lugs, forged iron mounts, copper brazings, single lock bolts, triggers held in by a screwed on guard, long swamped barrels etc...these were all general and basic southern traits that one ought to be aware of ...as well as how they are assembled architecturally to really capture the essence of a true southern mountain rifle that one of the afore mentioned folks might recognize as a southern rifle, maybe even of a particular southern school...I assume thats the goal?
Your parts list sounds like thats what you are after too?
tc

absolutely.  I came here to discuss "general and basic southern traits", as i have ideas but that i don't have any of the great works.  I thought that we could kick a few of these around.  Not every expert gets around to writing a book.

yes, now what is this architecture?  is that the part that i foul up with the rasp? 

can someone address my question/confusion wrt "thickness" and "lock panels"? what dimension is this?  i need the drawing thing of our Polish friend.
Hold to the Wind

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2012, 04:50:20 AM »
I think perhaps its important to consider that the basic southern mountain gun maker was a trained gun maker after all even if that was not his only or even main profession. As such he didn't need to use salvaged parts, he made his own, and he didn't necessarily just make two or three guns in his life time and that's all. I think you'd have needed to make quite a few more than that just to learn the rudiments. Where you are just buying generic castings today, that old mountain gun smith had to forge up his own. That takes some learning, and once you've learned, it seems reasonable that until forced to change, that is the way you will generally continue to make them, thus giving your work an identifiable style. I'm sure a few folks just spuriously tried their own hand at cobbling up a gun or two after one was burned up in a fire, shoot Boone himself stocked one from a branch and some spare parts once in the wilderness, but those I would think are an anomaly and not the norm.

All that aside, if you dont have any other works on the subject, perhaps you should consider at least getting a blue print drawing of the southern gun of your choice from Ron Borron...he has quite a few great examples to choose from. Under ten bucks will get one delivered I bet.
tc    

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:01:10 AM by T.C.Albert »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2012, 05:52:48 AM »
I might still have a trigger bar/plate with that offset feature from the 1960's that I can make
into a trigger if some one actually wants one. The plate is about 7/16"x5-1/2"

Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
perhaps you should consider at least getting a blue print drawing of the southern gun of your choice from Ron Borron...he has quite a few great examples to choose from. Under ten bucks will get one delivered I bet.
tc    
thanks for the information, first i heard of it.  I'll be building a few more but not before all can judge and critique this one.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I found a pic of Ron's Ambrose at Contemporary makers, now where do i find Ron?  thanks
Hold to the Wind

Offline art riser

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
317.442.9750 or 317.439.4378

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2012, 07:27:29 PM »
That's a percussion gun as I recall.
tca
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:29:06 PM by T.C.Albert »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »
tca
does that change the "architecture" of the rifle?  if so how?
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
317.442.9750 or 317.439.4378

Ken posted this in 2010. :

Ron Borron sells 2 sets of Southern Mt. plans.  5 rifles drawn in each set.  $20 per set through the Log Cabin shop or you can get them direct from Ron.  I think one or two of the rifles are VA or SC / NC rifles.  They are not all TN rifles.  
Ron Borron
496 Village Dr.
Bargersville, In. 46106

HERE'S THE CATALOG TITLE: SOUTHERN ORIGINALS PRINT SET

I don't know how i missed the thread with all the searching and reading i have done-no enough apparently.  (my next expenditure is for bolts and screws, sights and lug materials and stains/finish... and a mould.    

I'll get those when i start buying parts for my next one.

But as ever, i hope that others in my shoes get to learn something about sources and ideas from this thread--and that it pops up when they start searching.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:54:33 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
tca

Period changes architecture.  Percussion guns are generally later than flint guns though not always the case.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
That's a good one!
 ;D

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
tca

Period changes architecture.  Percussion guns are generally later than flint guns though not always the case.

do not guns get used for decades?  and weren't many converted to the percussion?  how does this change architecture? which lines or angles or dimensions? 
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »
does that change the "architecture" of the rifle?  if so how?
That's a good one!
 ;D

i have no time-line to reference.  and no one is sharing.  i don't know if the TOTW plans (tn) are 1799 or 1833.  anybody care to guess?  and i've never seen dates on all the originals i see pics of and/or have handled.  Could someone with this knowledge apply it to the pics in this thread so we can start learning and stop bantering over details with no reference?

and there you are just making broad sweeping statements.  not sure why no one will nail anything down.  I suppose it's because experts disagree when it comes down to fine details.  i'm still working in gross generalizations.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:48:59 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »
Quote from: rich pierce
Period changes architecture.  Percussion guns are generally later than flint guns though not always the case.

Period.

Rich, or anyone, could you elaborate on the Periods recognized in the TN/SM* type rifle. 

*assuming that those periods are similar or related in some way.  If not, please address it for one or the other and please specify which one thank you.

i gotta (re)start somewhere.  i'm trying to learn to ask the proper question.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:58:48 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2012, 10:18:15 PM »
I don't speak about TN rifle stylin', because I don't know a thing about them, other than I like them a lot.

There are no 'instant fixes' to your quest for knowledge. Just because we have the web and this ALR, it doesn't mean the information is there for TN rifles. Rifle building is a road we've all taken to, in one degree or another, but it takes years of study, communication, and forming relationships with collectors and builders. One cannot demand information from these souls, it has to be freely given.

Tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:24 PM »
Wade, it's not going to help you in the least if every bit of help and information given you is deemed inadequate.  I'm done as one response demands another, and you respond as though someone is withholding something you deserve from them.  Fact is we do other things sometimes.

Many of your questions are so open-ended that there are no answers, because it would take a dozen lifetimes of knowledge to answer them.  Allow me to paraphrase:

What are some features of Detroit cars?  I want to make a Detroit car and I want to know what they're like.  What are some of the defining features?

(somebody answers, "Gnerally the bodies are of sheet metal and the 4-12 cylinder engines are powered by gasoline, and the tires are rubber and inflated with air.  Usually there are seats for both driver and one or more passengers, sometimes arranged in separate seats, one behind the other.  Normally the sheet metal is painted, and the seats are upholstered in one way or another.  Now they varied quite a bit over time and even at the same time, different Detroit makers used different styles.  But in general the earlier cars used carburetors, and later ones, fuel injection systems.)

Wade responds: "Why won't anyone give me some specifics for heaven's sake?  Which ones had carburetors?  Is that all the differences?  How am I gonna know?"
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:32:23 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »
okay, i never meant to be so difficult.

i was just trying to break things down into pieces small enough that we could come to some common understanding.  that's not working.  i really do appreciate the attempts to help by those who tried.   If i ask a broad question, it's too broad.  If i ask a specific question, it's not specific enough or too specific.

Somehow i'm not understanding the language or the handshake.

my apologies to those who found this thread looking for guidance wrt TN/SM of any period or school.  maybe there's a nugget or two to be mined.

i'm done with this thread.
Hold to the Wind

Offline rsells

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »
Wade,
There is a rifle made by Jonathan Gross on Art Riser's "Contemporary Blog Spot" today that has real good photographs of characteristics of an east TN rifle.  Take a look.
                                                                             Roger Sells