Author Topic: 14 groove rfile gun  (Read 2543 times)

Offline pathfinder

14 groove rfile gun
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:05:57 PM »
In the classified section there is a rifle for sale,.58cal,39" barrel with 14 land's and grooves. HOLY COW!,14! I would imagine just the math to figure out the dimension's of the cutter is fairly sophisticated. Anybody have experiance with type of barrel?

How's it shoot? Is cleaning any different(wouldn't think so,but I'm used to getting "suprised")

If nothing else,it sure look's cool!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Greg S Day

Re: 14 groove rfile gun
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:14:56 PM »
Pathfinder,

I posted the gun in question.  I'm pretty sure he shoots a .570 ball with a .15/.18 thou. patch.

The gun shoots well (I've shot it) and cleans like any other.

Maybe Don will chime in.  I'm sure he was involved in the discussions when John was going to build the barrel.

Greg 
He Conquers Who Endures

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
Good morning Sir; Are you sure of the patching size you have stated as used .15 / .18. Or do you mean to say .015/.018. Have a great week end. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Greg S Day

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »
.015/.018

Thanks
He Conquers Who Endures

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
Back in the days when fine quality percussion target rifles were in use all over the Northeast,
a maker of fine target rifles,N.G.Whitmore of Mansfield Mass. and possibly Potsdam,N.Y. made
superbly accurate target rifles that had 12 groove,gain twist barrels that were declared as unfair
competition in many matches. This man's guns are spoken of by Major Roberts and Walter Cline
and the Cline book speaks at length about a test on one of these Whitmore rifles.
I nagged and begged Bill Large to make some of these Whitmore type barrels and offered to make
the index plates free of charge for the manual rifling machine we built about 1960 or '61 but it
never got made.I still wish someone would make up such barrels today.

Bob Roller

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:30 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Jim Goodoin has made some of those when he was still making barrels. He was shooting one at a Teritorial match that I was at in the 90s as I recall.