Author Topic: Original .48 cal. Leman Trade rifle Part 2  (Read 2593 times)

Windriverbob

Original .48 cal. Leman Trade rifle Part 2
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:22:17 PM »
I was finally able to return to the range to continue testing this rifle. The target shown was shot from the bench at 50 yds. The load was 70 grs. of Swiss 3F black powder. I changed patch material from the previous testing(see previous topic a while back). I had used .020 Ox-Yoke dry or something similar but switched to some JC Penny's pillow ticking that measures around .018. It has a very tight weave and soaks up the Ballistol/Water lube real well. The RB was a .465 dia. hand cast ball. RWS caps were used. I also replaced the original nipple with a new one and made a slight windage adjustment. The low shot was my fouling shot. A South West wind was gusting some as I was shooting. The group measured C/C about 1 1/2" X 2 3/4". I was hoping for better results than this but I think I need to up the powder charge some and also test with Goex. This will have to wait till I replenish my supply of .465's since this was my last 6 RB's. .470 RB's might change things also. I was using a 6:00 hold on the black.

Original Leman Part 2 001 Comp. by Windriverbob, on Flickr

Original Leman Part 2 002 Comp by Windriverbob, on Flickr

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Original .48 cal. Leman Trade rifle Part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing- we don't get much data on originals.
Andover, Vermont