Author Topic: Barrel profile for east Tennessee  (Read 4422 times)

Offline RAT

Barrel profile for east Tennessee
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »
Question:
If building a ca.1830-1840 east Tennessee/Appalachian style iron mounted rifle... what would be the most appropriate barrel profile? Tapered & flared, tapered, or straight?

Given the standardized barrel lengths commercially offered today, what would be a good length to use? It seems like many of the originals are in the 36"-40" range. Most of the tapered and flared barrels offered today in these lengths tend to have heavier breech/muzzles more in keeping with earlier guns. Using a straight barrel avoids this problem (more easily cut to desired length). 
Bob

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Barrel profile for east Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »
Not really one correct style - others may have different observations than me but most of the East Tennessee (or southern mountain in general) rifles that I have seen from that era - as well as even later - have tapered and flared "swamped" barrels.  I have seen a few tapers and straight barrels as well, but most have been swamped.  

Some actually do have pronounced taper and flare  just a different profile than you usually see today - the narrow waist is often a little farther back, and they tend to still be muzzle heavy even with the swamp.  Many of these rifle look light and slender due to the fine architecture but when you pick them up many are pretty heavy.   Some are as wide or even slightly wider at the muzzle than at the breech, wihch is something you just don't see modern barrel makers doing.

Others are only very sligihtly swamped - you have to feel the taper and flare wtih your fngers or measure it as it is hard to see.  Personally I have seen a lot of old guns that the owners assumed had straight barrels but actually turn out to be swamped if you feel or measure carefully.    

Barrel lengths are (or rather were before they were cut as so many of these have been cut down)  usually >43" - many are in the 45 to 47 inch range.  An original barrel lenght under 42 inches would have been unusual for a mountain rifle based on surviving examples, of which there are many.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:49:35 PM by G-Man »

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »
Take a look at the "Southern Classic" offered by Rice Barrel Co.
It is a little earlier than what you have asked for but a very popular new product because it doesn't have the extreme flare of many commercial barrels.
http://www.ricebarrels.com/chart.html

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline RAT

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
This is good info... thanks. I don't have the opportunity to see many originals in this part of the country. Length and caliber will sometimes be specified when studying photos, but profile measurements aren't usually mentioned. The barrel profile isn't readily apparent in most photos unless the flare is big enough.

I've looked at Rice's southern classic and was wondering if it was appropriate. My understanding is that it was patterned after an earlier period Virginia gun.
Bob

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:09:56 PM »
There are makers who will do custom profiles for you if that is what you really want.  You might talk to them and ask if they have any patterns taken directly off original East TN rifles - I would not be surprised if Ed Rayl has a couple.  Liike I said in my earlier post, these profiles often sound like a neat concept but many of them are much heavier than today's offhand shooters would tend to like. I have seen an awful lot of nice contemporary southern mountain rifles built around the standard profiles available - including the one that Gary mentioned - and I don't think anyone will find fault with your rifle if that is the way you go.  

I do think the extra length is important to the overall look though.  Many of these originals used four ramrod thimbles (iincluding the entry pipe) and there is a big visual difference between a 40 inch barrel and a 45 inch barrel with regard to how it will look.

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:15:22 PM by G-Man »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:05:42 AM »
I am too old for those heavy barrels. Building a Matthew Gillespie now around a 42" Rice "Southern Classic" barrel  I think it looks pretty authentic.. and yet it will still be fun to shoot..
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:09:18 AM »
Take a look at the "Southern Classic" offered by Rice Barrel Co.
It is a little earlier than what you have asked for but a very popular new product because it doesn't have the extreme flare of many commercial barrels.
http://www.ricebarrels.com/chart.html

Gary
I agree with Gary on this barrel. I build mostly NC mountain rifles and I just can't make myself build a new rifle with one of those heavy old barrels that many of those rifles had, they are just too heavy/cumberson to use. Then I ran across one of my Gillespie family guns that has an original lightweight barrel with almost identical dimensions to the Rice Southern Classic. John Getz also makes a similiar barrel that I think he calls his lightweight barrel. Either one of these barrels makes for a good handling rifle that looks correct on these rifles. I am not sure about TN rifles but I suspect some of them had similiar barrels.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Meteorman

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 02:33:21 AM »
I've been using the 44" A or B weight barrels and cutting off that last inch of muzzle flare - losing that last inch seems to  make quite a difference in toning down the overall swamp appearance, at least in my mind.  /mike

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 04:43:51 AM »
IIRC, Tippy (Tip Curtis) stocks a "special" variation on the standard swamped bbls by Colerain.  At least that's how i remember him describing it those long years ago when i bought this one. I recall measuring it out once and now i don't remember what was which--Call Tip.

He's in Cross Plains Tn and sells over the phone (has quite the inventory), but has no catalog or website.  Sells mostly to folks at/from Friendship.  Ad in MB.

He has some other custom-made as he sees it, TN things.  Catch him unbusy and you'll hear all about it. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline James

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 12:26:45 AM »
Was there a reason the originals tended toward heaviness? Was it just a case of that's how they were generally, or were they mostly shot from a rest?
Also, Mike or anyone, when you cut at the muzzle end is there anything special to be done in the finishing of the muzzle face so there aren't accuracy problems?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry