Author Topic: Set triggers for a Beck  (Read 4580 times)

Offline wvmtnman

Set triggers for a Beck
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:58:21 AM »
For my next project I have decided to make a .42 caliber Beck with set triggers.  I know that there are a few Becks out there with set triggers but not many.  I am going to make the triggers for the rifle but was wondering how they should look.  Should the back trigger be curved, sort of straight or does it really matter?  (I currently do not have RCA but I am ordering it this week)
                                                           Thanks, Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Set triggers for a Beck
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:41:15 AM »
Brian,

I'm no expert, but I wanted to put my new books to use!  I checked RCA 1 and 2 and Kindig's "Thoughts" and none of the guns shown that are signed by or attributed to J.P. Beck have double set triggers.  One rifle, RCA #98, does have a single set trigger.  It is gently curved with no curly decoration on the end. 

The J.P. Beck rifle shown in the ALR Virtual Library also seems to have a regular trigger.

Hopefully others with additional references will chime in.

-Ron
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:52:38 AM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

northmn

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 03:06:56 PM »
I have a book by Johnson, published by the KRA and have not seen any DSTs Beck's work.  His single triggers seem to have a flat bottom that looks like they were cut off, no curl.  If he made rifles with DST's, he may have traded for them.  Dickert is said to have made locks for other gunsmiths.

DP

rogero

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:47:13 PM »
there are pictures os a beck with set triggers in the july august issue of muzzleloader
ROG

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:09:15 PM »
Is that gun in the photo a JP Beck, or a Christian Beck? I have seen a rather blurry photo of a Christian Beck rifle with set triggers, but I don't remember seeing anything by JP with DST.

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 09:26:25 PM »
I was using the information in the July/Aug. Muzzleloader as the basis for building a J P Beck with set triggers.  It was stated that a total of 4 Beck's with set triggers had been seen by the author.  However, I think I am just going to make it with a single trigger and my .38 caliber barrel, & Ditchburn lock for the Beck project.  I believe I am going to copy the Benson rifle pictured in the forum and use the .42 caliber barrel for that one. 
                                                                Brian
B. Lakatos

rogero

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »
to be honest i dont know if its a christian or a jp but if you get a hold of peter alexander, he could tell you without a doubt  cause hes the one who took the picture in the magazine
Rog

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 01:03:53 AM »
There is a DST JP Beck in Whiskers "Gunsmiths of Landcaster County" Pg 74

I would think that any Kentucky style DST would be correct.
Many of the early smiths bought parts so thinking that JP Becks DST would somehow be radically different than perhaps Dickert's is probably overthinking the subject.
There is at least one Beck with a "curled" single trigger though most almost look like military triggers.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine