Author Topic: David Morton rifle  (Read 17310 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: David Morton rifle
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
What a great present!! Thanks for the pictures. Merry Christmas.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

titanicslim

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 07:54:09 PM »
Graceful in architecture and immaculate in detail.  I'm done trying to find a fault.  No luck at all. ;)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »
Hello Bill, I see you finished "MY" rifle just in time for Christmas -- your such a nice guy! You can send it off at your convenience, I know the holidays are a difficult time to get large packages shipped but I will be patiently waiting :D  :D  :D.
Beautifully work ---- you have the hands of a dentist - OH - You Are a Dentist  :o  :o!
May the holidays bring you and your family Happiness and Joy!!!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »
Bill,

This is one beautiful rifle.  Thank you for posting the photos.

Merry Christmas,

Larry Luck

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »
Bill, did you put those mother of pearl inlays in to cover up an inletting mistake?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2008, 01:20:36 AM »
Did I say that? I can't believe it. I must be jealous or something. @!*%, Bill, but that is a fine, fine rifle. Love all the brass, the extension of the buttplate, the inlay on the forestock. Magnificent patchbox.

Will we see this at the Lewisburg, 18th Cent Artisan Show?
( http://thoscurran.wordpress.com/calendar-of-shows/18th-century-artisans-show/ )

Great rifle!

Thanks, Tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 01:10:27 AM »
Acer, I've actuall done that. On my own rifle I forgot to trace out the open spot in the sideplate and removed the wood before I caught on. So I just filled it in with sterling silver. Looked good so I've done it many times on purpose.
Taylor, the rear pipe has 2 lips with a pin thru each. The barrel tennon goes between them with the wedge thru that. All covered by the inlay. It was done this way on the Morton rifle I used mostly to copy but it's not necessarily a Morton characteristic.
The customer I made this for is being patient, so I'll have the rifle at the Lewisburg show. Hope to see many of you there. It's good to get out in Feb.
A few others have done Morton guns. The original was at the CLA show with a loose copy of it by Judson Brennan. And there was a very fine one by Mike Gahagan on the Contemporary makers bloG.
Merry Xmas to all.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »
 Another absolutely beautiful rifle Bill.
Thanks For the Pics

Tim C.