Author Topic: a meeting with Peter A Alexander  (Read 7447 times)

rogero

a meeting with Peter A Alexander
« on: December 24, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
First off, as I am a newbie to this fine art, I just wanted to say hi to all of you and of course Merrry Christmas! Today, the 24th of december, I met with Peter A Alexander the author of the gunsmith of grenville county, and what a meeting!! the wealth of information that this kind hearted man posesses is
truly amazing and mind boggling!!! I seen things in his shop i never thought possible. but there it was in iron and wood.
and to a beginner such as myself, truly inspiring. and if i learned anything at all today, it's keep it simple! and that I dont need a million dollars worth of tools! but knowledge and friendship are priceless.
Peter , if you read this,,, thank you ever so much! and again Merry Christmas

titanicslim

Re: a meeting with Peter A Alexander
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:35:17 PM »
I've never met him, but would love to.  His book is indispensable- surely the single most  useful source on the subject.

rogero

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 01:05:36 AM »
another book he has had a hand in is the latest edition of building the american longrifle( so I found out today.) he showed me a hand forged swamped barrel he made when he was at colonial williamsbug,,,
amazing piece of work!  If I ever get one thenth of the knowledge that the man has forgotten, I will be ablle to make one heck of a long rile!

rogero

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 01:12:48 AM »
I guess that should have been Recreating the american longrifle (yet annothe newbie mistake)

California Kid

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 09:03:52 AM »
Rogero- Welcome to the forum, but use your own intellect, don't be influenced by any one source.
This is how we all learn.

rogero

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »
I could not agree more ! my aim is to not copy anyone but to learn from them( and a whole pile of the mistakes i am going to make)
so be prepared fer a LOT of questions!!

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »
Good Morning & Merry Christmas to all!
Peter Alkexander has been a friend and mentor for thirty some years, his skill with a file, rasp, and chisels is amazing, and the work that he produces with such simple tools, is breath taking.
The fellows on this site are equally as knowlegable.
Rogero, in no time at all you will be turning out your own piece of history.
Best Regards
Old Ford
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 07:16:29 PM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
I met with Peter A Alexander the author of the gunsmith of grenville county, and what a meeting!! the wealth of information that this kind hearted man posesses is
truly amazing and mind boggling!!! I seen things in his shop i never thought possible. but there it was in iron and wood.
HHHMMM...I must have caught him on a bad day..... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

rogero

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 07:19:55 PM »
oldford2  i really do hope that this site is as good as everyone says, as the task that lies before me appears to be quite monumental!
mike , we all have our bad days i guess, you should not give up , give it annother shot...  if your conversation goes anything like mine did you should wind up with a head ache from information overload
LOL

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »
Hello Rogero,
Don't underestimate Mr. Brooks talent, it is quite comparable to many traditional gunmakers.
Like I said, I have known Peter for many years, He has his crusty days, as we all do, and Mike B. may have run across Peter on one of his not so " GOOD" days.
If you ever read the book on crusty attitudes, you will probably notice that the author is, none the less Old Ford
Best Regards
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

rogero

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 10:44:05 PM »
I thank you fer the welcome,and the christmas wishes. you are absolutely right about the crusty days I have em too!  hope you have a great christmas
Roger

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »
Mr Alexander's book is "one" of the books that is good to have in one's  library for those developing their talents at building an American longrifle. This and experience will hopefully get you far.
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

altankhan

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 06:22:42 AM »
you might also do yr best to look closely at any originals you can find

rogero

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 05:12:44 PM »
since i am new to all this, i honestly would not know where id go to even find an original! (that would be a treat.) that being said, the only long rifles i have seen, belong to peter alexander... and im not sure wich were original and wich ones were the copys! i could not tell.
he did let me hold the one that is on the cover of his book ( i have the picture to prove it! ;D)
where would a guy go to find these wonderfull works of art?
Rog

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:50:30 PM »
Rog

Since you met with Peter this time of year, should we assume you are in the frozen north as well? 

Your next best chance to see originals as well as some of the best modern efforts would be the Lewisburg PA show the first weekend of Feb. The next best thing is the new library on this site and a collection of books from George Shumway www.shumwaypublisher.com.

Rick 
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

rogero

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »
Hi Rick, yes im from the frozen north, actually bout 30 minutes north of peters residence. but this is a temporary thing as i am in the military and am going to be posted to someplace else here in canada or overseas(afganistan perhaps?)  so this forum is probably my best bet for the near future to see anything
and thanks for the reply
Rog