Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 6987 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Quick Question
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:45:34 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am doing the finishing touches on my Dad's Chamber's Smoothrifle Kit. The breech area is seated nicely with no gaps, but there is a gap behind the tang lug.  My first build the hole the the tang lug was touching the screw and cause problems.  So in try to avoid that I have a gap.  My thoughts were to glue in a piece of wood to close the gap.  My question is, do I even need to do that?

Regards,

Coryjoe

Offline Longknife

Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
I usually like to have a small gap behind the tang to keep the wood from chipping out because of recoil. If the breech is inletted tightly I wouldn't worry about it. Most of these small gap dissappear when finish is applied also......Ed
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:01:26 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »
I usually like to have a small gap behind the tang to keep the wood from chipping out because of recoil. If the breech is inletted tightly I wouldn't worry about it. Most of these small gap dissappear when finish is applied also......Ed
Young Cory means behind the tang Lug seems like!  Maybe a little thought will invent a different idea; but I would inlet a section of hard wood in the rear of the lug inlet and recut.  What say you?

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »
Young Cory means behind the tang Lug seems like!  Maybe a little thought will invent a different idea; but I would inlet a section of hard wood in the rear of the lug inlet and recut.  What say you?

OH!!!!!!!!! I understand now,,, the LUG DOES need to fit tightly as does the breech area to prevent recoil from chipping wood at the TANG..........I say!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:18:32 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Meteorman

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
In my opinion, a void behind the tang bolster is not a problem as long as you have solid contact at the barrel breech, which of course is a given.  I've had a void behind the tang bolster on several guns. 
/mike

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
Do like Roger said and use glass bedding to glue it in place with release agent in the appropriate places. What screw touches the lug?  If its the lock bolt just notch the back of the lug after you have fixed the first problem and the glass bedding is cured.    Smylee

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
The back of the lug doesn't necessarily need to have contact with wood.  As long as the breech is making good contact, things will be fine.  Notch the lug if necessary so the lock bolt doesn't make contact.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »
The lock bolt is fine on this one.  It was my last one that was a problem.  So as I do this build I am trying not to repeat past mistakes, so I can focus on making new ones. 

Thanks for the help everyone.

Coryjoe

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »
"So as I do this build I am trying not to repeat past mistakes, so I can focus on making new ones."

That's the spirit!  ;)

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »
I like to have all the seating surface I can when I inlet the breech area.  I seat the breech end of the barrel as well as the tang lug against the stock.  I do leave a looser fit where I inlet the end of the tang to the wrist.
Dave

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 01:18:25 AM »
Yup, me too Dave. I would either glass bed it, or glue in a shim and trim to fit.

Belt and suspenders? Probably. But, it is easy to do and will insure against problems.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »
Quick answer, no.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »
I like to put just a tad of bedding compound in that spot. Gives a good fit and seals the end grain at a critical place on the stock.

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »
The back of the lug doesn't necessarily need to have contact with wood.  As long as the breech is making good contact, things will be fine.  Notch the lug if necessary so the lock bolt doesn't make contact.

I agree.

Quick answer, no.

Love a quick straight answer.   ;D
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline satwel

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 11:04:04 PM »
I'm with Pete G on this one. I use a thin layer of bedding compound behind the the lug to seal the end grain and maximize contact area between stock and barrel -- to spread the recoil around.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »
"So as I do this build I am trying not to repeat past mistakes, so I can focus on making new ones."

That's the spirit!  ;)

dave

Cheers!

tyro

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 05:55:07 AM »
coreyjoe, I have a couple rifles that have been relieved behind the tang to prevent chipping, the screw holes are snug or glassed.I would worry about recoil lugs and screwholes more than a slight gap behind tang.(I have a krag in what looks like a Sedgely stock that was evidently fired with the screws lose...it knocked out a chunk behind the bolt handle and cracked the wrist...now I'll probably sneak a chunk out of the bbl chanel or somewhere to see if I can fix it...)TY