Author Topic: Browning of firearms  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Browning of firearms
« on: December 23, 2008, 02:27:23 AM »
I goofed and posted this on the BP shooting forum

According to  the introduction in Angier's "Firearms Browning and Bluing" browning was a common finish for English sporting arms by 1720.
Angier cites written accounts of "russetting" of barrels in London in 1637.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Browning of firearms
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »
I think Angier reported that his information about the 1720's browning came by word of mouth from Greener who was not around anywhere near that time. I am still on the lookout for any documentation of the continuation of browning from the 1600's references to the references which establish later in the 18th century.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 07:31:18 AM »
I think Angier reported that his information about the 1720's browning came by word of mouth from Greener who was not around anywhere near that time. I am still on the lookout for any documentation of the continuation of browning from the 1600's references to the references which establish later in the 18th century.

In context.
"The browning of barrels is in itself however much older, even in England, and according to information kindly given [bold type by me] the author by Mr. C.E. Greener (the well known Birmingham gunmaker), was in common use for sporting arms about 1720."

The information was given him. Now we must ask was this some form of documentation or was it word of mouth? He does not say that Greener TOLD him. He states he was GIVEN the information.

Angier states that there are blued (temper-blued) and browned 17th century guns in ".. every larger public or private collection.." But notes that they are not as common as 18th century guns.
Then we must ask if the guns that were actually used were perhaps colored and the guns that were given to royalty or built as "see what I made" articles by gunmakers were not.
Guns with unprotected iron/steel surfaces get stained by BP fouling and need polishing. Those with an oxide coat simply wipe clean. An in the white barrel is a PITA in a gun that gets used much.

Just because the British military was not browning barrels in the early 18th century does not mean others did not.

Then we must ask on what grounds does anyone here have the authority to say Greener is wrong? We have no idea what he based this statement on. But since nobody here has found a smoking gun all early 18th century guns must be white.
What if nobody wrote it down? What if it was lost or destroyed? How much other gun stuff is written down in 1720?

I have a friend who was frostbitten after being wounded in Korea.
For YEARS (decades) the VA denied his claim for frostbite on his fingers since the hospital records indicated no frost bite.
THEN about 6-8 years ago they "discovered" that ALL casualties at that time had frostbite and treatment was SOP and it WAS NOT WRITTEN DOWN on the charts or anywhere else.

You really need to ask just how good does the documentation have to be.
If a note written by an American gunsmith dated to 1750 was found stating "I browned one gun barrel today"  some here would say "Yes, but it was only ONE gun barrel".
I think Greener meets the reasonable test. If it were not so why would Greener bother to fabricate a date? Why would ANYONE in the British gun trade circa 1930 CARE enough to fabricate that they browned barrels in 1720?  If it were not so where did the date come from?
If everyone KNEW it was the 1780s (as they seem to today) why did HE not say 1780??

This reminds me of a post on another site where a reenactor would not accept a haversack design actually printed in the Maryland Gazette circa 1775 as proper for the rev-war since it could not be proved they actually made any !!?? I assume he needed photographic evidence.

This sort of thing can be carried too far.
We KNOW they were "russetting" barrels on militia arms in London in the early to mid 1600s. It seems that at least SOME 17th century guns have colored steel/iron parts both blue and "brown".  We KNOW they were browning barrels in 1780. But we cannot accept that they browned barrels in 1720.

Dan

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »
FWIW - here's the source for the early 1600's citation....
In 1631, the Royal Select Committee found it necessary to establish standard rates for gunsmith operations. A report in the London Record Office 1631, explicitly mentions the russeting of barrels under the heading of "Repairs to the Arms of the Trained Bands" London Militia.
This document has been annotated by the author, Robert Held, in the "Age of Firearms"
On page 182, Item 13 of the rules, deals with the "russeting" of muskets
"For making clean and new russeting of musket........4 pence"

Thanks to Jerry Huddleston for this info........
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:46:34 PM by ChuckBurrows »
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »
Yes, it is a matter of  how good documentation has to be for an individual. For Greener to make such a statement over 200 years after the fact requires further information to validate it for me. I don't think accepting second or in this case third hand information (no matter how famous or published the person) without a revealtion of a source for their knowledge is considered good research. Other's mileage may vary and that is fine.  ;D

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 07:13:28 PM »
Yes, it is a matter of  how good documentation has to be for an individual. For Greener to make such a statement over 200 years after the fact requires further information to validate it for me. I don't think accepting second or in this case third hand information (no matter how famous or published the person) without a revealtion of a source for their knowledge is considered good research. Other's mileage may vary and that is fine.  ;D

To assume that nobody was browning barrels in 1720 is simply silly. They knew how, it was extremely useful from a practical standpoint, we have people saying they did, their are apparently surviving arms but we need "proof". Remember while Greener in this case was 200 years out we are 300 out now and so far as I know nobody has gone to Europe and searched for proof either way.

One final question. Where is it written, in period writings, that they absolutely, positively, never, ever colored the barrels by rust process after the mid 1600s? When exactly was the process abandoned? If you cannot prove when they stopped then how can you say they didn't brown barrels at any given time? Lenk's book on the Flintlock shows colored barrels in all periods but I have no idea what color.
Can we not demand this as well??? Or does this somehow gum up the works?
I am to some extent being a devils advocate here. But if you start demanding this level of proof it works both ways.

Dan

PS
I looking through Lenk's "The Flintlock" it occurred to me that it is possible browning was not used on the higher grade guns to protect the engraving/chiseling on the barrels and other parts. Just a thought. In this context heat blue would be the best process I suppose.

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 07:26:32 AM »
i know one of the favorite sayings in both my historiography classes as well as my ethnography classes was "the last this a fish would think to mention about his life is the water" we all know intuitively that the more common something is the less likely it is to be mentioned, how often do you write in your journal (not to mention your biography) that you balanced your checkbook or put in pants in the morning. the problem is that all that means is it is either commonplace in which case we should see examples, or it was not so commonplace and it just didn't happen to be mentioned, this problem is on of the slippery slopes of history. i have a feeling there arent many people who would claim that no gun was browned between 1680 and 1820, the trick is nailing down a reasonable situation in which they exist, location and grade of arm probably being the biggest factor, no i will not even begin to claim any sort of expertise with firearms history, just training as a historical anthropologist and trying to extrapolate some ideas, but either we have to be reasonable and objective with our thought process on what gun could be historically correct with browning (or whatever else we might be debating) or just declare it a modern artisan piece that was built by you with an inspirational tendril flowing from our past into your work, there is no shame in being creative, i made (sorry in advance) a 1911 with a browned finish and file work similar to that of a 1750s tomahawk, doesn't make it period correct for any period, and i dont pretend it is, but its no less an attractive gun for its period incorrectness. just my thoughts, hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, Zack
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared