Author Topic: Chamber's Smooth Rifle Build  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Chamber's Smooth Rifle Build
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:47:44 AM »
My family is from the Candler area originally and my father has always wanted a rilfe made from a Chamber's kit.  After much diliberation he chose the smooth rifle, rifled in .54 caliber.  We started last spring.  He wanted it in walnut with browned furniture.  It is his first build and only my 2nd one.  I had a lot of trouble working with walnut like this for the first time.  I have done carpentry work with walnut, but never a gun stock.  Overall is turned out pretty well.  My dad had not seen it finished until today.  He let me take it home to the the final work, it has been done for nearly a month.  We shot it today as well at about 30 yards with very good results.

The bullet hole on the top lid of teh box is mine.  The other three are my dad's.  Don't laugh at me.

Coryjoe
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:02:15 AM by Coryjoe »

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Chamber's Smooth Rifle Build
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 04:05:45 AM »
Ya did big. I really like that walnut. I've never worked with any of it myself but you made it look really good. What is the specks on the barrel
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

MarkEngraver

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 04:42:06 AM »
Good on ya, Coryjoe ! Nice job !

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 07:01:11 AM »
in reverse order...cuz i'm still laughin'  :D ;D tha's what you do when someone says, "Don't laugh at me". 

ain't it.  i mean you hit the box and heck it ware nearly 100 feets away and all.  heck yeah, new gun and all-no prob here.  looks like it'll settle right down and shoot after a bit.

looks great.  i like walnut and am darn glad the boys 'round here used it some and that i've got aplenty.

oh, rifled smooth rifle?  i just didn't know. i learn at every turn.

carry on and Merry
Hold to the Wind

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
Walnut can be tough to work with, especially the carving part. On the plus side is that a thin coat of linseed oil rubbed into the stock at every cleaning will soon result in a polished look of a well used gun. I also like to add a little bit of soot to the oil for a couple of coats to darken the lower areas some.

Keep us posted on the load development and shooting results. I have shied away from a smooth rifle because I wasn't sure how well it would shoot, but your results show that may not be quite the issue that I had thought.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »
Walnut can be tough to work with, especially the carving part. On the plus side is that a thin coat of linseed oil rubbed into the stock at every cleaning will soon result in a polished look of a well used gun. I also like to add a little bit of soot to the oil for a couple of coats to darken the lower areas some.

Keep us posted on the load development and shooting results. I have shied away from a smooth rifle because I wasn't sure how well it would shoot, but your results show that may not be quite the issue that I had thought.

This one has a rifled barrel, but it was Chamber's Smoothrifle kit.  I will say though that before I made my rifle I carried a smoothrifle for years and loved it.

Coryjoe

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
in reverse order...cuz i'm still laughin'  :D ;D tha's what you do when someone says, "Don't laugh at me". 

ain't it.  i mean you hit the box and heck it ware nearly 100 feets away and all.  heck yeah, new gun and all-no prob here.  looks like it'll settle right down and shoot after a bit.

looks great.  i like walnut and am darn glad the boys 'round here used it some and that i've got aplenty.

oh, rifled smooth rifle?  i just didn't know. i learn at every turn.

Thanks

Coryjoe

carry on and Merry

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 06:49:16 PM »
Ya did big. I really like that walnut. I've never worked with any of it myself but you made it look really good. What is the specks on the barrel

The barrel is rifled Octogan to round .54.  46".

Thanks,

Coryjoe

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 05:21:36 AM »
Octagonal barrels sure do look good, but an OTR rifled barrel is sure sweet handling. I have one that's .54 x 42", and it is great. How does this one handle? Sure looks like it fits your dad well.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
This one has a rifled barrel, but it was Chamber's Smoothrifle kit.  I will say though that before I made my rifle I carried a smoothrifle for years and loved it.

Coryjoe

Now I get it. Just about the time I finally am able to accept the concept of a "Smooth Rifle" You throw a rifled smooth rifle at me. I totally missed that in the first reading of the post.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:06:18 PM by Dennis Glazener »

tyro

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
Wow! Two great rifles in one day! You guys are gonna make it hard on me when I get back to my tools.Now I'm actually going to have to learn how to use them...TY

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
That smooth rifle is my absolute favorite!! A slender long lady with a whollap!!  Nice you did that for your Dad!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 12:07:41 AM »
Very kind of you to say Tim Boone