Author Topic: Bench Rest  (Read 4247 times)

Number19

Bench Rest
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:43:31 AM »
I'm new to BP shooting and see numerous comments about using a bench rest, particularly for developing loads and sighting in, with the goal of finding a load that will consistently produce 1" groups at 50 yards. My question is, when shooters refer to a bench rest hold, what type of hold are they referring to: a two point rest or a one point rest?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Bench Rest
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:08:10 AM »
The position that gives the smaller groups.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:42:15 AM »
When I bench a rifle to zero while working up a load, I shoot off a Caldwell rest.  I hold the rifle into my shoulder as I would when shooting standing/offhand (since 99% of my shooting is standing/offhand), and I rest the forestock on the Caldwell rest.  I try to make sure my angle while sitting is the same as when I'm standing, and I try to make sure the height of my rifle in my shoulder aligns the same off the rest as if I were standing.  This works for me.  Others may have different techniques.

Now if you are just searching for the most accurate load - it's what Dan says.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:31:05 PM »
I'm like Snuffer.
Assuming cresent butt plate, Sit facing right angle to target.
Sand bags high enough to sit straight up.
Rest fore arm on sand bag at same place the forward hand holds.
Hold toe of rifle between index finger and thumb w hand resting on sand bag.
Elbow of shooting hand rested.
Butt plate on upper arm.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:12:34 AM »
When testing or sighting in a muzzleloader from a rest, I use a single bag under the back of my left hand. My hand is gripping the forend exactly the same as when shooting offhand. The butt tucked into my shoulder 'pocket' as normal. My only hooked butt rifle, the .32, has the toe running between my arm and shoulder, otherwise, it is held the same.
Held this way, every one of my rifles and the smoothbore shoot identically to offhand.
When shooting modern rifles, I use a rear bag as well as the front.

Ron T.

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 11:38:39 PM »
When working up an accurate load with both muzzle loaders or my modern center-fire rifles, I use exactly the same method.

I use a heavy, adjustable, molded Lyman rifle rest with a sandbag under the rifle's forearm.  I use a couple of sandbags under the "toe" of the stock and hold the rifle tight against my shoulder, pulling the rifle back against my shoulder using my right hand on the front of the trigger guard.  This is a very solid shooting position for me.

I adjust the sandbags so that THEY "hold" the rifle's sights exactly on the center of the bullseye so that my only effect on the rifle is pulling it back tightly against my shoulder.  I use this same method when bore-sighting a rifle after putting a new scope on it.

No... I do NOT put scopes on black powder, muzzle-loading rifles.  Such a set-up is an abomination!

Am I a "purist"?  No... but some things just go too far or don't SEEM "right"... and a scope on a traditional muzzle-loader is simply one of those "things".

Make GOOD smoke...  :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

William Worth

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
Most of the time, when I bench a gun, I put the forestock on a sandbag, seat the rifle butt in my shoulder and use my left hand held under the toe of the rifle butt.  Sort of like a wrong handed pledge of allegience.  Left hand pressure changes the final sight acquirement.  I let it free recoil.

With larger calibers, as Daryl has pointed out, they like to be held.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »
I generally shoot the bigger bench guns. The front of the gun is on a 50lb front rest and the rear sits on a sandbag. The rear is cupped by my off-hand to give me a minor adjustment if needed.

This works quite well and you can get pretty darn good groups with the old blackpowder. 3/4" at 100 for this .62, aperature sight-no scope