Author Topic: best small caliber?  (Read 14280 times)

George F.

Re: best small caliber?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 11:10:01 PM »
I've found that as I'm rapidly aging and no longer a member of the work force, that trying to handle the smaller calibers with my fat stubby fingers that do not want to bend anymore is not a fun thing, but rather a very frustrating thing. It's frustrating enough not being able not to see the bulls eye anymore.. Do you have a hard time picking up coins? You can load a  .40 caliber with a light load and still not sacrifice accuracy. I  am not a hunter,don't like real cold weather much anymore, But the .40 that I had was really great. I use to load 40 grains of 3f  powder, then started dropping it to 25 grains of 3f, and it shot better, hardly any recoil. Any way it's just someone else's opinion to bounce around in you head.   ...Geo.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 12:28:59 AM »
<snip>  Aside from man, the mountain lion is the most dangerous critter where I live.

What?
No wolves yet?

Dan

The powers that be haven't gotten around to reintroducing the wolves back to this area as yet.  I expect someday it will happen just like it did in and around in Yellowstone.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for nature and survival of critters that are in trouble of becoming extinct, but its a good idea to let the people of these areas know when dangerous animals have been "planted" (such as the mountain lion) so we who enjoy the outdoors stand a half chance at knowing we should not go hiking without a sidearm or any firearm for that matter where it may be needed to defend ones self or another against a hungry animal that is known as a man killer when times get tough in nature.  Colorado is all to familiar with mountain lion attacks where humans are involved, even little kids.

With this said, check this out.  It took place 25 miles west of where I live.  Scroll to the top of the page for the story;  It's got folks talking of "what's been introduced now to the area?"  This may very well just be fallout from the planting of mountain lions the G&P did in the Pine Ridge area?  Then again, you can't be sure?

http://www.thechadronnews.com/articles/2008/05/20/chadron/brief/news587.txt?show_comments=true#commentdiv

They won't have to introduce them. They are FAR beyond the boundries of the original re-introduction sites. They over populated Yellowstone in just a few years.
They were seen in Western Nebraska about 2 years ago.
This from a guy who was then managing a ranch in the area.
We had at least 7-10 north of town in 2007 but saw no sign this year while hunting. I suspect they "went underground" or moved on or both.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 03:17:52 AM »
Dan- I like the looks and mystery of the picket bullets you pictured.  Might have to build a mould for one of them. It should be easy to take a .395" RB mould and turn the bottom of the ball cavity to a good shape in the blocks.  The flat point for hunting or target would be about perfect, but perhapsx having a perfe4ct hemisphere for the contact area. The only 'difference' in loading from a round ball might be the rod tip and starter. Both would have to fit the bore (with brass or nylon ring) and the seating nose would have to be shaped to the bullet (turned) very closely. Same with the starter. A guide fitting the outside flats of the barrel would also be necessary to centre the ball as well for the starter and rod.  Once the bullet is seated into the bore, the starter is turned/rotated back and forth to ensure the nose is aligned with the axis of the bore and then it's seated onto the powder.  The LHV keeps the bore clean when loading, so the bushing, brass or nylon doesn't stick.  yeah- this would be interesting.

Out to the range today shooting the .40 on the top gun range at paper targets at 30 yards and briquetts at 50 yards.  Offhand shooting the 50yard briquetts is easier than shooting a one hole group offhand at 30yds. Go figure!  The BP range is the bottom range.  A big plus was I got to shoot the .69 English gun again.  That 14 bore is a wonderful gun and it's nice to know I'll be able to take it to Hefley again this coming August.  Got the loads sorted out - 125gr. 2f for close targets and 140 to 165gr. :o for the long ones.  WHAT FUN! I still lament trading it away it :'(
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:55:10 PM by Daryl »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 04:25:31 AM »
Hi Daryl
Check the picket bullet thread.
If you have access to a lathe making a swage is pretty easy.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 06:12:53 AM »
They won't have to introduce them. They are FAR beyond the boundries of the original re-introduction sites. They over populated Yellowstone in just a few years.
They were seen in Western Nebraska about 2 years ago.
This from a guy who was then managing a ranch in the area.
We had at least 7-10 north of town in 2007 but saw no sign this year while hunting. I suspect they "went underground" or moved on or both.

Dan

I think I do recall hearing something about wolves be spotted in my end of the state, but I just don't recall for sure.  I've seen them in South Dakota once, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd be here.

I'm sorry for straying off topic.  I'll try not to do it again. :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:14:13 AM by Candle Snuffer »

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »
Dan - last post first page.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 10:41:42 PM »

I usually carry about twice the number of balls I think I'm going to need in the winter.  Half of them end up in the snow. If only they would sprout roots and grow into a ball tree.   ;D

Bill

Grow one next to the "Flint hedge"!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!