Author Topic: Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #6  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Firelock

Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #6
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
There's a lot going on in this update. It breaks down into three parts:

First I'll show how to inlet barrel tennons into the stock on the Track of The Wolf Bucks County flintlock rifle kit.

Then I'll show how to make a special tool to mark barrel pin holes on both sides of the stock. This tool really saved me a lot of angst, and I haven't seen another one like it...doesn't mean it's unique, but I haven't seen one.

Finally, I'll use an R.E. Davis Center to Center drilling fixture on the drill press to drill the pin holes and secure the barrel to the stock.

Getting the barrel pinned to the stock is always a big deal to me. This is the point where I start to feel like a bunch of parts is really turning into a rifle.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:05:13 PM by Firelock »

docone

Re: Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #6
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »
Every time I see your videos, I learn something new.
Good work.
Keep em comin!

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:35 AM »
Firelock, I'm enjoying your progress but wished you would have left the Dremel out of it. The issue for me is that being your putting this out on the internet people will watch and follow and I believe there are better ways to inlet barrel lugs, or anything else, cleaner than a hand held dremel which makes a less than exact mortice. Just my 2 bits.

Offline Firelock

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
Tom, I understand your position, but all I can do is honestly show how I go about building this rifle. I try to make it clear that I'm not a professional, or even an advanced hobbyist. I'm just a normal guy trying his first build in 20 years.

Back when I was actively building flintlocks in the 1970s and 80s, there weren't the resources available today. So I undoubtedly picked up some bad habits. But, having said that, I don't feel bad about using the Dremel for tenons. It works well for me, and it is hard to mess up that small, straight cut.

As a cautionary note, in the next update I'll confess to two sins that will probably result in you losing what little respect for me that you may still have. But, as I said, I feel that it is only fair to show what I've actually done, rather that what should be done.

Frenchymanny

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »
I am enjoying those updates big time!
The tool for the pins is brilliant

Manny

Offline JDK

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »
You're doing a good job with these videos and I know we're just picking at scabs here but.....

If you want to use a rotary tool it's no skin off my nose but what I had a problem with was this quote, "If you're careful, it's really the best tool for doing tenons."

It may be fast, it may be convenient, but there are better tools for the job that make a much cleaner inlet.  It's not the best or right tool for the job.  I would have had less of a problem if you'd have used a narrower cutter to establish your depth and cleaned up the inlet with knives or chisels.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Firelock

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
Thanks JDK.

I should have said, "best tool I've used so far." LOL

As you know, I'm not an expert at this, and I think I must have been drinking when I decided to video the build...and drinking heavily at that.

One really good aspect of this is that I am learning a lot from the critiques of the videos, and I appreciate that. I also appreciate that I haven't been chastised too roughly by experienced builders.

I don't like leading viewers into sin, but all I can do is show how I am actually doing the build, and then rely on better craftsmen to point out what's wrong.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
Firelock, Now that you know the traditional inletting / rotary tool police are watching we'll see how your future YouTube videos go  ;D  I do my barrel pins exactly the same way you do except I just line up the drill bit with the pointy jig by eyeballing it without a specialized tool. So I'm not against the use of power tools as a general rule.

Offline JDK

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
It's all good.  We all have our own ways of doing things and many is the time any one of us has said things we wish we would have worded differently.......and again, it's just being picky in this case.  The way I do things changes all the time as I'm shown different ways of doing things.....many ways to skin a cat or build a longrifle.

Fact is that even if you ran a continuous scroll across the bottom of the screen screaming "I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL BUILDER....DO NOT ATTEMPT" it would still not absolve you of criticism from somebody.....you can't make everybody happy. :D  And as you've pointed out, the feedback is invaluable.

Kudos for even attempting this endeavor.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »
As with marriage, buying new cars, building guns, there are about a million ways to accomplish the same task. Everyone has a different way. The beauty of this forum is that someone always pipes up with a simpler or different way that makes complete sense.

Whatever you post here, you get feedback. I see most of the replies are pretty generous and supportive, and you are getting ideas on how to fine tune your process. I think this is a fabulous medium, and more and more 'how-to's' are being put on the web every day.

I have a personal loathing of a dremel when it comes to inletting, but if you use it in a video, that's OK with me, but I'd caution against saying it's the best way. Consider that this site tends toward traditional tools and methods, so any new-fangled things will go over like a lead balloon.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline JDK

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »
I make no apologies for the use of power tools where appropriate.  My bandsaw may not be powered by a water wheel or Acer's lathe by a treadle and my drill is plugged in instead of hand cracked.....but they are all traditional tools used in the trade.

I don't hassle my wood supplier because his trees weren't hauled out with mules and his saw is not run by two guys, one of which was covered in shavings standing in a muddy pit.  I doubt Beck cared what beast of burden delivered his either or whether his barrels were pounded out by hand or with a trip hammer.

As we all do, I draw my own lines in the sand.  We each have our own way of reaching back in time and ideas of what is right.  Each as to decide what means justifies the ends and each have to justify it in our own minds.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
With everything good there seems to be things not so good associated with it as well.  The internet...  A great way to spread information, but anybody, amateur or expert can put things in print, video etc.  Although it might be changing, I beleive there has long been an assumption that, when reading or viewing material, the author is capable or knowledgeable in this particular area.  This is not necessarily so.  So... you can learn a great deal, but you have to sort through a lot of not so good information as well. It can be frustrating when trying to learn, it can be frustrating to those who are knowledgable, but I guess that you have to just keep all this in mind and accept it for what it is.  Most people are meaning no harm and are really trying to do a good thing and help.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:15:08 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »
Interesting and thanks for your work in producing the video...and here I am diddling fiddling around with my crank drill, gimlet and cataracts.  Its good to have someone around out there that knows what he or she is doing.  No wonder it takes me an entire winter to build a plain shooter.  Well I do manage a green 'participants ribbon at Chuck's Gunmakers fair... once and a while. :o ;D